• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New species for Opus (1 Viewer)

I'm having trouble deciding when to replace a photo in Opus. I'll change text content without reservation when it is incomplete or inaccurate, but with photos, contributors have a lot more invested; it is a bit of an honor (at least in my mind) to have the Opus and database photo of a species, and I hesitate to delete someone else's photo and substitute one I took, unless the existing one is so bad as to be almost unrecognizable. However, we want to continue to improve the content. I've probably seen half-a-dozen times when I felt I had a much better photo, but did not make the change. I've even thought of contacting the contributor for permission, but have never. Any guidance/opinions from others on this?

The way how I normally decide is if it is a better photo for ID purposes then change it. If the original photo has both sexes on and there is a marked difference between them I normally leave it, unless it is of that poor quality. And would then choose a better one showing the male.

There is no need to contact the person who orignally had the DB photo, unless it is for an ID query etc.

Both Opus and the Database should have the best photo we have of that species which over rides one with both sexes. The first photo someone views should be the best example even if just one bird. The search links are there to show more examples.

Don't worrry about relacing photos whether your own or with someones elses, as you say that's the way the quality of the databases continues to improve.

If hesitant to change a photo, an option would be to add the new photo to the Opus page and post a short note on the "Discussion" thread for any other interested editors to pick up. Something like "I have posted a new image to this page; I am undecied which would be better on the page, or if both should remain there."

That way you draw attention to a decision to be made, and are asking someone else to make it.

Or is this misuse/incorrect use of the Discussion tab/thread?

If hesitant to change a photo, an option would be to add the new photo to the Opus page and post a short note on the "Discussion" thread for any other interested editors to pick up. Something like "I have posted a new image to this page; I am undecied which would be better on the page, or if both should remain there."

That way you draw attention to a decision to be made, and are asking someone else to make it.

Or is this misuse/incorrect use of the Discussion tab/thread?

If it's an alternate view there's nothing wrong with adding more than one photos to the Opus page not just for different sexes, thouh really i think the best photo we have of each gender should be on the front page and any other photos can be viewed using the search link.

To be honest I'm not sur where the discussion tab fits in the scheme of things - it's hardly ever been used.

If it's an alternate view there's nothing wrong with adding more than one photos to the Opus page not just for different sexes, thouh really i think the best photo we have of each gender should be on the front page and any other photos can be viewed using the search link.

To be honest I'm not sur where the discussion tab fits in the scheme of things - it's hardly ever been used.

I have, when possible, added alternative views to the opus pages. I think it is important to have summer/winter right there (if different), or different subspecies represented, in addition to the obvious with front/back sometimes looking so different that one image doesn't cover the spread. This is most important in cases where the identification section has not been filled in yet, but even if it has, more images without having to click further is more user friendly.

Regarding the discussion thread, that could easily be a way to discuss relative merit of different images. I think, however, that it might be better just to open a new thread with the name of the bird, and ask the question there: if you use the discussion tab, that discussion thread is permanently affixed to the entry, long after the question is solved.

Cheers
Niels

I have changed the image for the Square-tailed Drongo on Opus. I am pretty sure that the photo previously used on Opus and presently used on DB is of a Southern Black Flycatcher.

Hi Marmot, Ian, Nom. Do you put artwork in the Opus?
If so i have done a little known Hummingbird Called "Margaret's Hummingbird"
It is probably the first full illustation of this bird ever. It's in the Art Gallery, do you think it deserves to go in???

Hi Marmot, Ian, Nom. Do you put artwork in the Opus?
If so i have done a little known Hummingbird Called "Margaret's Hummingbird"
It is probably the first full illustation of this bird ever. It's in the Art Gallery, do you think it deserves to go in???

When no photo is available we do indeed use artwork. Now added to Opus and the Database :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back