• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hohe Tauern and Ötztaler Alpen in July (1 Viewer)

Hermann

Germany
I'm in the process of planning a trip to the Alps this summer. We'll be off in July, travelling via Mittenwald to the Hohe Tauern/Großglockner region, then to the Ötztaler Alpen. We'll finish in the Tessin in Switzerland.

This is not going to be a "birding-only" trip (my partner would kill me if I tried to bird 24/7 on that trip ... ;)). I also know many of the Alpine birds from previous trips to the Mittenwald region already. We intend to stay at campsites most of the time.

Can someone point me to some good websites on the region? I'm particularly interested in sites that give some detailed information on where to find the typical Alpine birds. I know it probably isn't a good idea to publish any information on where to find the vultures here, but of course I'm interested in those two species as well. I expect to spend quite a lot of time walking, so I'm quite prepared to move about, but I'm not really fit enough to do any strenuous routes in the Alps. And is there anything of interest in the Tessin? My literature on that part of the world is hopelessly out of date.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, including information on decent campsites. I tried to do some research on campsites on the net, but it's pretty difficult to judge what the situation at those campsites will be like in real life in the summer.

Hermann

For Switzerland is recommended "Vogel Beobachten in der Schweiz" released by Ott Verlag.
check also ornitho.ch

For vultures aks also at hut Sesvenna Huette.

For alpine birds also Kaunertal ist interesting.
A street lifts up to 2.700 m altitude.
The area around the hut at about 2000 m altitude, has nice forest and quite good for alpine woodpeckers.

Vulture in Austria are very reliable in National Park Hohe Tauern in the valley Rauris Tal.

http://www.birdinggermany.de/rauris.htm

In Bavarian is very good lift with Karwendelbahn for alpine birds.
Moosenalm at Schafreuther is the most reliable place for Citril Finch.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back