• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery nest (1 Viewer)

sullomeo

Anyone have any ideas which bird built this nest? All I know is that the photo was taken in Oregon, USA. America's out of my ID comfort zone! Dimensions included in pic. Thanks!

Attachments

• mystery Oregon nest.png
    mystery Oregon nest.png
    193.2 KB · Views: 182
Interesting complication! Zoomed in on the pic, and the hole in the top convinced me it was a nest, and the dimensions of 12" x 15" made me think crow family. If not a nest, can't think what it could be. Maybe it's old and in decay/covered in moss... clutching at straws (and moss) here!

Maybe it's old and in decay/covered in moss... clutching at straws (and moss) here!

Could be. Everything gets covered with moss eventually in the Oregon rainforest, if that is where the nest is. The only local corvid that would build a nest as big as that so close to the ground is the Black-billed Magpie.

I wonder, does the american member of the genus Pica not build a nest like it´s european relative - a bulky nest with a cover?
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8024/7131433553_1d7708fe53_b.jpg

Indeed it does. But when such nests get old and dilapidated they sometimes lose their covers and that's what I was suggesting we might be dealing with here. But, to be honest, I don't think it's an old magpie nest either; it just doesn't look right.

Indeed it does. But when such nests get old and dilapidated they sometimes lose their covers and that's what I was suggesting we might be dealing with here. But, to be honest, I don't think it's an old magpie nest either; it just doesn't look right.

Thanks for looking at this, guys. Doesn't look as if I've cracked the secret, but it's reassuring to know that when I looked at the pic and had no idea what it was, I wasn't alone!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back