• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta 8x32s? (1 Viewer)

FrankD

It seems like such a natural progression for Meopta to continue the product line. What do you think the chances will be that they would offer such a product? What do you think interest would be like? Personally I would love to see the specs on such a product. If the 8x42 sports an 411 foot field of view (with low levels of edge distortion) then I would love to see what an 8x32 would offer.

Just thought it would be an interesting topic for discussion.

FrankD said:
What do you think the chances will be that they would offer such a product?

Last year i e-mailed Meopta and asked them about smaller binoculars with HD lenses. Their Technical Director (can't remember the name) replied that they are considering a smaller birding glass, but they did not sound conviced that HD would be effective.

I think that they need to grow into the birding market if they want to stay alive. I also think that 7x35/8x32/9x35 Meoptas Meostar APO/HD are a good idea if they sold at or around $800 and had wide FOV and reasonably flat fields and close focus.

Alternatively, they could come up with extremly high quality and birder friendly porros for half that price. Maybe even internal focusing porros, as long as they don't go the way of Minox (lousy field of view).

Let me get back to work now.

I think that they need to grow into the birding market if they want to stay alive. I also think that 7x35/8x32/9x35 Meoptas Meostar APO/HD are a good idea if they sold at or around $800 and had wide FOV and reasonably flat fields and close focus.

I know you are trying to cut down on your collection but would you consider buying a pair if they did come out with one either with or without APO/HD glass?

No, but not because i don't think they will be excellent. The EL 8x32, Ultravid 10x42, Zeiss FL 7x42, Leupold Yosemite 6x30 (i found an exceptionally good one in that pile i bought) are obscenely more than i need. If Swarovski introduces a 8X32 EL HD next year, i will probably sell the one i have and get the HD. Also, if Leica ever brings back their 6x24 Amplivid, i will think about it.

I cannot argue with that set of bins. :)

I would be interested to see though if anyone else would consider picking up an 8x32 Meostar if it would somehow become available. ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back