• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

a magical emergence.. (1 Viewer)

Cindy M

This past Monday we finally had a couple warm nights in a row, warm enough to encourage a few moth species to emerge- and emerge they did! The area around our mercury vapor light was absolutely full of hundreds of medium-sized white fluttering moths known as 'The Half-Wings' (Phigalia titea)- species in the Geometridae, or inchworm family. It literally looked like it was snowing, there were so many of them. The full moon lit up the woods well and if I stepped away from the light out into the trees, the 'snow' appeared to be rising upwards from the understory, where they have spent the cold months overwintering under the leaves in cocoons- it was beautiful beyond words. I could see and hear flocks of ducks flying over by the full moon and alot of smaller passerines- I stood under the tall trees that were swaying in the winds, as if they were waving the birds and the moths onward, grateful for the ability to appreciate and enjoy the magic.

Moths of Michigan

Attachments

• halfwing.jpg
    halfwing.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
I lost track of this post and had to go searching :egghead:

Does this mean spring is on the way for you? You must be a happy camper.

hiya KC- yeah, it felt like spring for all of two days, well really it felt more like summer it was unseasonably HOT. But it cooled right back down again, 50 degrees cooler in fact the next day- (then the titmice and dees found the moths on the garage walls and that's all she wrote!) :flyaway:

it really was magical- moths are fascinating insects & there is so much to explore right out our own front doors if we take the time to notice :)

I run a MV lamp in my garden every night here in Redditch, Worcestershire. It is very poor for moths here, a suburban garden. I did however catch a Puss Moth (Cerura vinula)last night. A bit early but nice to see as they are few and far between here. Tonight it is cold and windy. Bad night.

hi Simon, good to cross paths with another moth person :) I really dove in over my head last summer and photographed close to 900 different species, many of which remain unidentified. What a blast! I've been following your yardlist, is there a website you could recommend where I could put a photo to a UK species? I hang sheets under the mercury light, but also peg sheets down further out into the woods and use a portable blacklight (UV light). I've tried sugarbaiting too (painting tree trunks and soaking ropes then hanging them) but haven't really had alot of success with the sugarbaiting yet- will have to switch brands of wine maybe. I don't drink myself, but last summer I bought wine, rum and beer all to make up concoctions for moths- the neighbors are muttering something about a '12 step program for Cindy's insects' :) But hey, it beats sitting in front of a tv or computer any night-
happy mothing,
Cindy

Last edited:
I don't know of any websites for Moths but it gives me the excuse to look for one. I tried sugaring but without success. What I attracted I caught in the light trap. I tried the black bulbs but they did not last long, and I have tolerant neighbours. I run a light at my mothers' home when I am there on the Isle of Skye. You can see it from about 10 miles on a clear night. I think the locals think the mad Englishmen is back whenever they see it. I haven't the heart to tell them I'm half Scots. Good luck and I'll keep posting.

hi Simon, thanks for taking the time to post the links. I'll certainly bookmark them so I can put a photo to your species name when you post your yardlist. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back