• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta 8X42 B1 (1 Viewer)

dries1

Meopta arrived the other day, I am very impressed with this glass, IMO probably the best 8X42 approaching under $1000 new

Pros
great contrast/edge sharpness
Bright
FOV 7.8 degrees
Good eye relief
Large ocular lens
Easy eye placement
Good glare control

Cons
Could be too heavy forsome at 30+ ounces

I have recently been enjoying a 10X50 UV and down the road looking at a 15X for tripod use for astronomy, and I believe that Meopta will be that glass.
I have not tried the Meopro models, just the Meostar models in 7&8 X42 and continue to be impressed with this manufacturer.

A.W.

Last edited:
IMO, Meopta made a fantastic decision when they reduced the pricing on both the MeoPro and MeoStar series of binoculars.
Now in the $500.00 and under and the $1,000.00 and under options they really are the best choice

How do you rate the Meostar B1 vs the Ultravid HD?

IMHO I would say the optics are much closer than meets the eye. The only down side is that the B1 may be heavy for some people, not me personally, I like a bit of weight for stability. They are built almost to military standards.
The Leica HDs are a great glass but are not worth double the price based on my comparisons with the B1 and the Ultravid HD.

A.W.

Last edited:
gr8fuldoug, dries1:

Ok, thanks, they seem to be good value for money.
Wonder what the price reduction is all about.
Clearing out stock and new models on the way?
Is it possible to see if the bin have the updated coatings?
Other than looking through them...
Any marks, serials or is it a "quiet" update?

Last edited:
We've known a Meostar replacement has been in development for several years. It would be nice if it's arrival is imminent, but last time I asked they weren't telling.

David

gr8fuldoug, dries1:

Ok, thanks, they seem to be good value for money.
Wonder what the price reduction is all about.
Clearing out stock and new models on the way?
Is it possible to see if the bin have the updated coatings?
Other than looking through them...
Any marks, serials or is it a "quiet" update?

Meopta brought in a new head of Sports optics this year and he is going after market position. That's the reason for the price reductions

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back