• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weight of 65mm scopes Viper and Vortex (1 Viewer)

The-Wanderer

Weight of 65mm scopes Viper and Razor

Hello, is there an understandable reason why the Viper is heavier than the Razor?

Last edited:
Hello Ptickner,

I am sorry I would have responded by now, but hoped that someone from Vortex would have chipped in.

I thought that the Razor with the superior glass would account for heavier weight than the Viper.

The-Wanderer

Hi all,

Much of the Viper 65's weight can be attributed to the much thicker all-over rubber armouring which it has when compared with the Razor.

The Razor 65's magnesium alloy body has partial rubber armouring (the green part) but is otherwise a painted surface of the body itself.

T-W you are indeed correct with your assumption that the glass part of the Razor is indeed heavier as it features the triplet apochromatic lens system whereas the Viper only has a single HD element.

Trust this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back