• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advise please scope (1 Viewer)

keeny

Hi all , I'm thinking of buying the razor HD 20x60x85... now I only have experience using bino's and was wondering how the image compares to looking through 2 lenses as a posed to 1.
I know your going to say go try one, however there are no local shops sell them.
Would i be disappointed with the view ?

Cheers Chris

The scope view is a very different experience from what binoculars deliver. Try to be sure that you can return the scope if you find it does not work for you.
Major differences include one eyed viewing, which is inherently less comfortable. Get an eye patch, it lets you relax a bit rather than squinting through the scope. Another major difference is field of view, usually 2 or 3 degrees in a scope, half to a third of what binoculars deliver. Of course the magnification is double or more, but the keyhole view is what scopes deliver. The third big difference with a scope is that they are useless without good support. A bad mount which vibrates or shakes in the wind amplifies all of the scope disadvantages, it just poisons the experience. You need to mount the scope on a good tripod with a good tripod head. Buy them used, they are much cheaper that way, but expect to pay serious money for them even then.
Do note that there is a current thread dealing with a decent scope bargain which also notes some tripod deals.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=316197

Hi,

good points from etudiant. Regarding the eye patch - you can first use your hand to block the view in one eye and check if full or partial covering works better for you. Some people can do just fine with partial covering which has the advantage of not getting the inactive eye accustomed to darkness and thus blinded when changing to binoculars. A translucent eye patch can help for everybody else.

Another thing worth mentioning is the fact that the depth of field is miniscule with scopes, so getting stuff in focus takes a bit of care. Split focus wheels with high and low gear can help here.

I'd really recommend you have a view through a scope first to check if you like it, preferably the one you're about to buy, of course. If you don't have a store nearby, a bird or wildlife reserve sounds like a good idea, either you'll just meet people with a scope there which will let you take a look or two when asked nicely or the rangers on a guided tour will have one.

Maybe sb. from Britain can give some advice for a reserve nearby...

Merry Christmas,

Joachim

Thanks guys for the replies.
I do think it would be a good idea as suggested to try an look through a decent scope before i shell out a pile of hard earned dosh.
I do have a nature reserve on my door step , the Newport wetlands so hopefully somebody may let me have a look through theirs if this bloody weather calms down soon.

Cheers Chris and merry Christmas B :)

Hi all , I'm thinking of buying the razor HD 20x60x85... now I only have experience using bino's and was wondering how the image compares to looking through 2 lenses as a posed to 1.
I know your going to say go try one, however there are no local shops sell them.
Would i be disappointed with the view ?

Cheers Chris

Hi Chris,

if you get this scope. it's worth noting that Swarovski ATS (and AT) eyepieces fit it. That broadens the number of eyepieces available to you.

The Razor HD 85 is about the same focal length as the Swarovski ATS so magnification is more or less the same.

Hi Chris,

if you get this scope. it's worth noting that Swarovski ATS (and AT) eyepieces fit it. That broadens the number of eyepieces available to you.

The Razor HD 85 is about the same focal length as the Swarovski ATS so magnification is more or less the same.

Thanks for that info although swaro EPs are not exactly cheap - but they're worth it. Do you happen to know if the swaro adapter for 1.25" astro EPs fits too?

Joachim

Thanks for all the info guys, however I'm now looking at getting the Kowa 883 and 25x60 eye piece.
oooh twice the dosh tho 8-P

Thanks for that info although swaro EPs are not exactly cheap - but they're worth it. Do you happen to know if the swaro adapter for 1.25" astro EPs fits too?

Joachim

I don't know, Joachim.

I asked the same question myself here on BF some time ago and didn't get a reply.

I used to own a scope that took astro e/ps and the vast range of e/ps available was great. You could spend a lot of of money trying out e/ps though!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back