• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins Bird Guide for Android Survey (2 Viewers)

I'm just wondering for my friend who's just downloaded the Collins android bird app. Will the android Collins bird app get the videos for every single bird in the Collins app just like the Apple version of the same app eventually. There are 3 sections of priced videos of which the basic common birds are free but the other 3 sections of bird videos you have to buy as add on's, of which I've all the videos of all the birds on that Apple Collins bird app.

I'm just wondering for my friend who's just downloaded the Collins android bird app. Will the android Collins bird app get the videos for every single bird in the Collins app just like the Apple version of the same app eventually. There are 3 sections of priced videos of which the basic common birds are free but the other 3 sections of bird videos you have to buy as add on's, of which I've all the videos of all the birds on that Apple Collins bird app.

Do you know what else they sell as addon? I have heard call recognition?

Great app and works fine on Moto G4. Saves lugging the book about and includes songs / calls too. Well worth the wait.

Strange, the search function doesn't locate "Blue Tit". (Before anyone asks, it was a test, not a legitimate ID query search!)

Last edited:
Downloaded Collins Bird Guide app to my phone without problems but could not install on Android tablet (Samsung SM-T700, Android 6.0.1). Asked Googleplay agent to call me back and, checking against his list, he said the app is listed for phones but for not tablets and offered me a fund. I declined this but asked him to forward this point to the app developer. Meantime others beware! Does anyone else have a have similar experience with this app?

Downloaded Collins Bird Guide app to my phone without problems but could not install on Android tablet (Samsung SM-T700, Android 6.0.1). Asked Googleplay agent to call me back and, checking against his list, he said the app is listed for phones but for not tablets and offered me a fund. I declined this but asked him to forward this point to the app developer. Meantime others beware! Does anyone else have a have similar experience with this app?

Ive just put it on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T500 Android 6.0.1 and its works fine.

Russ

I asked about video. Here's the reply: "Hello Sean. We will add video in the future; we want to make sure the video delivery is reliable before we release anything into the app. It's like to be around 6 months before video is added. We hope you enjoy the app."

Android app

Hi

About to upgrade my android phone and would like to use this android app on my new phone. I see some people are using Moto G4, LG G3/4 and I wonder if there are any further recommendations. Would be nice if the new phone would be water resistant as well as we birders sometimes get caught out in some filthy weather at times.

Thanks

Hi

About to upgrade my android phone and would like to use this android app on my new phone. I see some people are using Moto G4, LG G3/4 and I wonder if there are any further recommendations. Would be nice if the new phone would be water resistant as well as we birders sometimes get caught out in some filthy weather at times.

Thanks

The more recent models of the top brands all seem to be water resistant.

https://www.cnet.com/news/best-waterproof-and-water-resistant-phones/

See below for the advice to me from Stephen at Nature Guides, in case anyone else has a similar problem. In fact the issue was the Playstore app, which needed updating/refreshing.

The first (point) is ensuring the Android system is up to date on your tablet and there are no updates pending. It’s worth quitting the Play Store app (tap the square button on your device and swipe the app away to close it) and turning your tablet off and back on again just in case.

Secondly, see if you can find the app (or app icon) on the table, even if it doesn’t open. It may be in the Application manager. Try deleting the app (or app icon) from your device. Hold on the icon until Delete/Uninstall appears at the top of the screen. Drag the icon to Uninstall and confirm. More details here: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2521768?hl=en-GB and here: http://www.wikihow.com/Delete-Apps-on-Android

The rather drastic third step would be to request a refund on the app from the Play Store, then purchase the app again. This should free up any problems that prevented it from being downloaded the first time.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back