• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2018 (1 Viewer)

With her Solitary Snipe Nicole officially catches up with Neil Hayward at 749. She's still on St. Paul, I believe.

<<EDIT>> Nicole is leaving St. Paul, but with 750! She picked up Common Rosefinch.

Dan got Blue-footed Booby and Sharp-tailed Sandpiper. he has a number of easy birds to clean up out west, so he should be pushing 700 before too long. Then it gets stickier in the Lower 48.

I've been working on a separate Excel chart for the Lower 48. Chris Hitt and Dan are on it, of course, and Olaf and John went digging through their 2016 files to come up with solid lists. Olaf is at 723 and John at 721. Christian is just over 700 but we're trying to finalize it. We'll see if Yve and/or the Stolls hit 700 last year in the Lower 48. The Deans did not, and neither did Laura Keene in 2016 (they've checked).

Joe

Last edited:
Enjoying NK's progress via Joe's amazing spreadsheets and my ebird alerts. Since leaving St. Paul, Nicole hit 753 (+1) today in Weslaco Texas with the golden-crowned warbler at Frontera Audubon.

The day before yesterday she picked up blue-footed booby on Lake Powell in Utah, and a few days before that, flesh-footed shearwater on a pelagic off San Francisco, CA.

Last edited:
Nicole got Ross's Gull in Barrow. According to Sulli Gibson, they had as many as 60 after two days with zero.
754+1 for her.
The Deans picked up Smooth-billed Ani, so they're at 718.
Dan is plugging away, and at 682. I await to hear which four species he's added.

Joe

Nicole got Ross's Gull in Barrow. According to Sulli Gibson, they had as many as 60 after two days with zero.
754+1 for her.
The Deans picked up Smooth-billed Ani, so they're at 718.
Dan is plugging away, and at 682. I await to hear which four species he's added.

Joe

I saw on eBird recently that Dan got the Texas Golden-crowned Warbler, so perhaps that's one of the four.

Thanks again for the updates!

Nicole made her first trip to Hawaii, then ran back for the Common Ringed Plover (she got it) and the kite (she didn’t get it). If you look at her AOU number in eBird, subtract one, as the Mexican Duck she had on the Rio Grande (on the Mexican side of the river) shows up in her AOU number, but not her ABA number.

Joe

Time for an update! Nicole is back in Hawaii, piling them up. Gaylee Dean added European Robin; her husband, Richard, only heard it, so he won't count it.
Nicole: 780 + 1
Gaylee: 719
Richard: 718
Dan: 682

Joe

Attachments

• NewABABigYears2018.xlsx
    108.9 KB · Views: 31
  • NewABABigYears2018ByCode.xlsx
    590.6 KB · Views: 19
Some updated numbers to end the weekend:
I spoke too soon about the European Robin, as both Gaylee and Richard Dean saw it. Along with the Black-faced Grassquit they added, their number is now 720 for the Continental ABA Region.
Nicole is picking them off in Hawaii, with her number now at 794 + 1 for the New ABA Region.

Joe

Last edited:
Some updated numbers to end the weekend:

Nicole is picking them off in Hawaii, with her number now at 794 + 1 for the New ABA Region.

Joe

From ebird it looks as though Nicole hit another milestone over the last few days with all Code 1 species now seen.

Not sure where she is on Code 2s - I know 2 remain on the mainland but loosing track of what is still to see in Hawaii. Seems most of the recent additions were the introduced species.

Is the European Robin a first? If not, how many records?

I looked on ebird and I see that there is the vicinity of a port.

Is likely ship assistance a bar to acceptance in Florida?

Many thanks in advance for any responses

You're right, Muppit: Nicole cleaned up the final Code 1 she needed: Red Junglefowl.
Besides the two mainland Code 2s she needs (Yellow Rail & Smith's Longspur), she needs Hawaiian Duck, Black Francolin, Gray-backed Tern (no other Big Year birder has picked this one off), White-tailed Tropicbird, Hawaiian Hawk, Kauai Elepiao, Japanese Bush-Warbler, Anianiau & Kauai Amakihi.
I'm getting way better at spelling the Hawaiian species; the only one I had to correct was the Amakihi!

EDIT: She got Black Francolin today - 798 + 1. Start the drum roll!

European Robin is on the ABA list, but I'm not sure about Florida's list. Ship-assisted is countable...
Joe

Last edited:
Is the European Robin a first? If not, how many records?

I looked on ebird and I see that there is the vicinity of a port.

Is likely ship assistance a bar to acceptance in Florida?

Many thanks in advance for any responses

Pretty sure it's occurred elsewhere as an 'escape' - maybe even introduced historically as part of efforts to re-invent the local avifauna along European lines c. Australian/New Zealand lines?

A bit early for 2019, but...

Hi folks,

An early heads' up that at least one person will be doing an ABA 'Big Year' in 2019 - me! More of a photo big year really, and without a crazy bent on records. Really. Blog is up at birdingyear.com for anyone interested.

Thanks Joe for all of the updates re the 2018 BY with Nicole. She is closing in on a big number - presently ticking the boxes in Hawaii.

John Weigel

Awesome news John! Great timing since we moved to Texas and now have two endangered species that nest in our backyard. I hope you and Robyn will have a chance to stop by!!!

Laura Keene

Here are some updated numbers:

New ABA:
Nicole - 804+1 (she added Spotted Redshank, Bananaquit and Yellow Rail)

Continental ABA:
Nicole - 761+1
Gaylee - 724 (she added Spotted Redshank and Key West Quail-Dove)
Richard - 723 (he added the same two; he did not get the Western Spindalis)

Lower 48:
Nicole - 693
Dan - 690 (though I only have his list through 679)

Joe

Here are some updated numbers:

New ABA:
Nicole - 804+1 (she added Spotted Redshank, Bananaquit and Yellow Rail)

Continental ABA:
Nicole - 761+1
Gaylee - 724 (she added Spotted Redshank and Key West Quail-Dove)
Richard - 723 (he added the same two; he did not get the Western Spindalis)

Lower 48:
Nicole - 693
Dan - 690 (though I only have his list through 679)

Joe

Nicole seems to be about to get the third highest continental ABA total but is about 10 short from Hawaii compared to previous big years ? Is she intending on going back ?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back