• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeing Beesley's lark in northern Tanzania. (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Although I am a big fan of looking for things myself rather than having a guide, I'm told that this isn't advisable with Beesley's lark. There is a website for the lark:
https://www.sites.google.com/site/beesleyslarkengikaret/

Unfortunately I have had no response when I have used the email on the site and their Facebook page has seems to have gone. Can anyone help with how to arrange a guide? We will have a 4WD.

If no one else provides a phone number for you just do the following. If coming from Aruash you will drop down into the plains there should be a hard to see sign on the right hand side of the road with Beeslys Lark. A few kilometers farther there will be a small village with a store in the Acacia tree line. I just stopped at this store and asked. They called a young Maasi warrier from the village and 15 minutes later he met and we were looking for the lark. Of course doing this you might end up with anyone looking for some cash but the guy we got was legit with a ledger to sign etc. He knew the area for the lark and we found the lark quite quickly then he wanted dropped back off at his home. From there I just drove the plains alone.

Assuming the sign is the same sign (by the roadside on the right?), the larks are (or were about 4 years ago) within a few hundred metres off to the right of the sign in the "Dupont's" type vegetation, and you should probably be able to find them just by pottering around without a guide (along with other larks). You just need to spot that sign! A km or so deeper in, when the veg gets more scrubby with scattered trees, the birding is also awesome.

EDIT have a look at this: https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3179940&postcount=40

You won't need a 4x4 to get to the site, as it's not far to walk in from the road, but you will if you want to drive deeper in.

Last edited:
Steve - when are you going ?? Am planning a three week trip in November.

Beesleys. Some gen I got recently.

ou turn up and the Maasai chaps find you, show you the Lark and you pay them (I forget how much). Otherwise you are left alone to bird the area. There is a number to ring and they prefer you to call ahead but it's not compulsory. An email address is [email protected].

Cost for a recent trip was 30,000TZS flat rate plus a cost per person of 20,000TZS.

Saruni Kiria is contactable on
068 6445 265 and 07585 08263
He is the man who set up the project as far as I can gather.

The bird guide you want is Isaac Kisulu, a Maasai guy (below right) who lives nearby and grew up walking the Tanzanian plains...Isaac has contributed many bird recordings to Xeno-Canto and you can find a profile of him here: Isaac Kilusu - Orniverse . Isaac guides throughout much of Tanzania, and can ID most Tanzanian birds by their call. That's him with his Zeiss binoculars and Nikon digital camera/telephoto lens.

Isaac is fun..smart, and has been a bird guide for several years...founded a bird club. He can be found on WhatsApp (+255-786-665-746), and pretty soon he wioll have a web site (and his wife is about to have a baby). Highly recommended
F-rG262XYAAKZvR.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back