• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peru Pelagics (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
Hi all, a few from the Palomino Islands and adjacent waters:

1. Shearwater sp.? I assumed auk at the time, but I now realise they don't make it to the southern hemisphere...
2. Just to confirm: this is a blue-footed booby, right? As opposed to the abundant Peruvian boobies I saw many of.
3. 1cy Kelp Gull? Were nearby an adult Belcher's Gull, but the other juv. Belcher's Gulls I saw all had the yellow and red bill of the adult.

Attachments

• 1 (2).JPG
    1 (2).JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    363.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 81
First is a storm petrel, looks like Wilson's although there's a hint of a white bar to the under wing (pointer to white-vented, but no white lower belly); the booby with the guanay cormorants looks like Peruvian (pale head, dark back). The last two are Belcher's.

Aww damn, sure about the booby? Had a much darker head than all the others I saw, and face and feet loomed much paler blue imo

Aww damn, sure about the booby? Had a much darker head than all the others I saw, and face and feet loomed much paler blue imo

Generally blue-footed has bright blue feet. This looks like an adult so uniform pale head and dark back indicates Peruvian

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200307-102514.jpg
    Screenshot_20200307-102514.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 46
First is a storm petrel, looks like Wilson's although there's a hint of a white bar to the under wing (pointer to white-vented, but no white lower belly); the booby with the guanay cormorants looks like Peruvian (pale head, dark back). The last two are Belcher's.

My experience with Elliotts/White-vented from Galapagos was the the white vent was usually invisible. Are you sure you could see it if present with this image?

Niels

My experience with Elliotts/White-vented from Galapagos was the the white vent was usually invisible. Are you sure you could see it if present with this image?

Niels

My understanding is that the white rump should be larger and more extensive if that species rather than Wilson's. So I think it's Wilson's but happy to be proved wrong.

if you have access to Birds of the world, check these two pages
https://birdsoftheworld.org/bow/species/wvspet1/cur/multimedia?media=photos
https://birdsoftheworld.org/bow/species/wispet/cur/multimedia?media=photos

I fail to see a systematic difference between the size of the white in the rump

Niels

Well, two refs I've consulted say white-rumped should have a narrower rump patch (Peru guide and birds of Northern South America). I see a difference between some of the pics you point to but not all: some Wilson's have narrow rumps. This assuming they're correctly id'd there of course. Wilson's is a non-breeding visitor but present throughout the year. Both species have yellow webbed feet. White-rumped differs in the belly mark and pale underwing pattern. Since we can't really see these here, best to leave as "sp."

[Edit] should have added: plenty of Shearwaters in the southern hemisphere...

Last edited:
Shearwaters yes, I said no auks in the southern hemisphere ;)

Regarding the storm-petrel, I have 1 more photo but its much lower quality and I doubt it helps. Something which may be more useful is the fact this bird was quite close to the mainland shore; maybe 100-200m or so. I think that the behaviour favours Elliot's?

Attachments

• P1080983 (2).JPG
    P1080983 (2).JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 42
Shearwaters yes, I said no auks in the southern hemisphere ;)

Regarding the storm-petrel, I have 1 more photo but its much lower quality and I doubt it helps. Something which may be more useful is the fact this bird was quite close to the mainland shore; maybe 100-200m or so. I think that the behaviour favours Elliot's?

>>auk
Yes sorry misread.

Not sure about distance from shore. Nothing in the photo which changes my id of "sp.".

I don't think the Storm Petrel can be safely identified from these pictures, but Justin probability I'd say Elliott's. The white belly patch is indeed difficult to see in the field and to judge rump size you'd need much better pics and even then it's not always possible.

I think the booby is indeed a blue-foot despite the pale looking head, the plain wing coverts and lack of pale edging on the scapulars is given as a consistent feature blue-footed cf Peruvian. Peruvian also have dark red eyes and blue-foots pale eyes - the bird in the pic appears to have quite pale eyes.

I have seen blue-foots at the Palamino islands but they are very much in the minority. Note that being on the edge of range the two species can hybridise in northern Peru, so beware, see https://www.researchgate.net/public...uvian_Sula_variegate_Boobies_in_Northern_Peru

cheers, Andrew

My worry with the booby is I subsequently saw similar-looking boobies later in the same trip on the Ballestas islands. They too had pale eyes, relatively blue feet, grey streaky head and no dark border to the bare facial area, but I got frontal views of these specimens showing no contrast at all between head and body colour. Which I think rules out BF Booby. So I think it is definitely possible to have a Peruvian Booby that looks like this one. I will check if the scapulars are visible on the Ballestas Island specimens too when I get home from work, but seems safest to leave it as Peruvian to me. As you say, the vast VAST majority of boobies were unquestionably Peruvians. I think Masked and/or Nazca may also be possible at the site, but I saw no candidates for either.

Last edited:
I think the booby is indeed a blue-foot despite the pale looking head, the plain wing coverts and lack of pale edging on the scapulars is given as a consistent feature blue-footed cf Peruvian. Peruvian also have dark red eyes and blue-foots pale eyes - the bird in the pic appears to have quite pale eyes.

I have seen blue-foots at the Palamino islands but they are very much in the minority. Note that being on the edge of range the two species can hybridise in northern Peru, so beware, see https://www.researchgate.net/public...uvian_Sula_variegate_Boobies_in_Northern_Peru

cheers, Andrew

Urgg. I said adult. But it's actually more like this:
https://www.hbw.com/sites/default/files/styles/ibc_1k/public/ibc/p/3p8a6489_peruvian_booby_dpp_n50_8_10_p.jpg?itok=NYsltQJ9​

Note the fairly pale eyes. In the op pic I believe I can see the pale wing fringes we're looking for in Peruvian: photo quality means they're not clearer

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back