• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South West Wales - SUGGESTIONS? (1 Viewer)

miller.rob

Hello! I have the opportunity to visit relatives in Dale, Wales in spring 2005 (south-west Wales near Milford, Haven).

I've just ordered "Where to watch birds in Wales" and "Birds of Europe". As this will be my first trip to Europe, pretty much everything will be a Lifer.

I don't have the books yet, but from my internet research, Skomer, Skokholm, and Grassholm Islands seem to be a must. As is Ramsay Island.

I understand to see RED KITES I will have to go further inland. What would be the closest location to Dale?

Is there anyone on line with experience birding this area of Wales? I would very much appreciate your suggestions.

If not appropriate to reply here, please feel free to e-mail me directly:
miller.rob(at)juno.com

Thank you!!

Rob Miller
Toronto, Ontario - CANADA

Hi Rob,

yup Skomer and Ramsay are musts but in both cases the number landing daily is restricted. I think Skomer is about 250 on a first come first served basis from 10am. It costs £7 for the boat and £6 to land.

Ramsay has a max of about 30-40 a day.

I seem to think you can't land on Stokholm now. I know that they do boat trips around the island and to see the Shearwater around Skomer in the evenings.

Had a great time in SW Wales last September.

See this thread, but be prepared for a little driving (This is British Driving not Canadian Driving!!!)...

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=8515

For Red Kites, you might just get lucky, as I did, but if you can spare the time, a trip to Gigrin Farm will guarantee them by the dozen - I think you need to arive by 3.00pm.

Hi Pete and Birdman!

Thanks for the replies. I just found a great read about Skomer and Ramsay on the Fatbirder website. Also Birdman's trip report was great! I'm on my way to pick up a map of Wales, and to map out your route. I may end up birding in your footsteps. Almost everyone of your birds would be a Lifer for me!

HAHA, yeah, I am not really looking forward to round-abouts and driving on the left side of the road. Hopefully, I will be able to bus some of my way around, or bribe someone with gas money and a pint or two of Guiness (after the drive!)

Thanks again for your replies!

Rob Miller
Toronto, Ontario - Canada

Best field guide for Wales?

Birdman and Pete (and others!):

I just found a copy of "Birds of Europe with North Africa and the Middle East" 1992 by Lars Jonsson at my local used book store.

A few days ago I ordered a new copy of "Birds of Europe" 1999 by Lars Svensson and Peter J. Grant off the internet.

I've never seen the Lars Svensson/Peter J. Grant book. How does it compare to the Lars Jonsson book?

Is one THAT much better than the other? Saving money is good, but this is probably my only trip to Wales, and I don't want to scrimp on something as important as a field guide.

Thanks!

Rob Miller

Also get around to the Gower Peninsular, just to the east of your area. Special stopping points there are Blackpill (for gulls), Burry inlet (for waders). Southern coastal cliffs for peregrine and possibly chough. Possible parakeets in Gowerton, etc etc
(Take 2 days for that area alone, if it is sunny it is even very picturesque, the added benefit is the holiday rush not likely to start until mid July.

As well as Gigrin Farm for Red Kites (this is a feeding station) just north of there is the Elan Valley - really terrific scenery.

Whereever you go in that part of Wales you will really, really love it.

TObirder said:
Birdman and Pete (and others!):

I just found a copy of "Birds of Europe with North Africa and the Middle East" 1992 by Lars Jonsson at my local used book store.

A few days ago I ordered a new copy of "Birds of Europe" 1999 by Lars Svensson and Peter J. Grant off the internet.

I've never seen the Lars Svensson/Peter J. Grant book. How does it compare to the Lars Jonsson book?

Is one THAT much better than the other? Saving money is good, but this is probably my only trip to Wales, and I don't want to scrimp on something as important as a field guide.

Thanks!

Rob Miller
Probably a little late with an answer, Rob, but here's my two-cents.

I don't actually own either of the two guides you mention, but from what I hear around BF, you should expect a Jonsson guide to be good.

So, on the basis the a "Europe" guide will have fewer "Middle East and North Africa" species and subspecies that are of no use to you in Wales, I would say that would be a reasonable choice.

So, perhaps the question is, is this likely to be your only trip to Europe or Western Palearctic...? If not, maybe then a more encompassing book is better value.

As to what to get, a search through BF should bring up one or two threads with people's opinions from experience in the field!

if you're visiting via a London airport you could pick up your Red Kite viewing diverting north to the Chiltern hills (just North of London) where they are common, before making your way west.

If you search on this web site you'll find plenty of info on the Chiltern Red Kites. Easy to see in a short space of time.

Wales Field Guide and Suggestions

Thanks to everyone for their field guide suggestions (both here and to me privately).

Also, thanks for the birding location suggestions and for suggesting I search BirdForum for more info (I didn't realize I could do that!).

Rob Miller
Toronto, Ontario

PS. I apologize for my tardy reply. I've been in Vancouver (British Columbia) the past couple weeks for a conference and family visit.

lucky sod getting to go to Vancouver, haven't been there since 96.
if you are driving up to wales from heathrow keep an eye out as you approach junction 13, there is a rubbish tip near there and i've seen red kite there quite alot over the motorway.
a you go past swindon give me a wave.

if you really want to go around a roundabout that even brits are scared of ,visit swindon and drive over the Magic Roundabout by the football stadium. We took our Canadian friends over it and they cr*pped themselves.

moose1991 said:
lucky sod getting to go to Vancouver, haven't been there since 96.
if you are driving up to wales from heathrow keep an eye out as you approach junction 13, there is a rubbish tip near there and i've seen red kite there quite alot over the motorway.
a you go past swindon give me a wave.

Hey Moose1991!

Vancouver was great! While at my conference a local birder took me out birding to a number of local hot spots (Cypress Provincial Park, Lower Works Yard (near Cypress), Klootchman Park (West Vancouver) and Grant Narrows Regional Park.)

This wasn't my first trip out, so besides the beautiful scenery, I was lucky enough to score 8 Lifers.

Thanks for the driving suggestions, but I will likely be going the train and bus routes.

However, I promise to wave as I pass Swindon.

Rob

stop mentioning those places, I'm just a yearning to return to BC.
can't go for awhile yet, baby number 3 on the way.
don't blame you using public transport, the roads are madness here and the Welsh are even madder drivers.(bet I've upset someone with that)
I think where-ever you get to go near Dale y'll see some wonderful birds, make sure you get up early to hear the dawn chorus which is beautiful in spring.
Have a good trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back