• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Tit (1 Viewer)

ThomasW

United Kingdom
Please excuse me if I've got this wrong but I could use an ID.

For about 3 weeks I've had a Blue Tit in my nest box, comes just before in gets dark & leaves as it's getting light again. Up to now I've only been able to get black & white images but today it arrived back around 11 am so colour is here.

I know the males have a richer blue cap but "richer" is relative when I've nothing to compare with.
So..Question: Is it Male Female Juvenile ??

Advice appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Clipboard.jpg
    Clipboard.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 18
The colour tints ate not accurate, there should also be greens and yellow hues. It will not be a juvenile now, rather a 1st winter or perhaps even in adult plumage.

This shot is unprocessed, straight from the box camera, but I do see green.

Would you say Male or Female?

Also, I noticed in this visit he/she seemed, if not agitated then, far more active than when it comes at night.
There's a window high in the side of the box which was getting far more attention today, possibly because of the extra daylight, which naturally isn't there in the evenings.
Probably normal..

Attachments

• Clipboard2.jpg
    Clipboard2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 13
The colour tints ate not accurate, there should also be greens and yellow hues. It will not be a juvenile now, rather a 1st winter or perhaps even in adult plumage.

OK, there's no shame in saying you don't know. After all I didn't either.

I'm not ashamed, just haven't got around to scrutinising the finer details. Gender identification is difficult enough, my thought is a male. The bird would feel threatened hence agitated if there was any ,let alone increased activity, at the entrance. All perfectly normal behaviour in my experience.

P

I'd also come to the conclusion it was a "he".

Having watched that video many times, along with CCTV of the surrounding area, I can say undoubtedly that there was no activity anywhere near the nest box. I'm of the opinion that the daytime view was simply different to that at night and so he was just investigating thoroughly.
He certainly appears to have settled in now. Fingers crossed for the breeding season.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back