Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Blue Tit

Old Tuesday 19th November 2019, 11:57   #1
ThomasW

Question Blue Tit

Please excuse me if I've got this wrong but I could use an ID.

For about 3 weeks I've had a Blue Tit in my nest box, comes just before in gets dark & leaves as it's getting light again. Up to now I've only been able to get black & white images but today it arrived back around 11 am so colour is here.

I know the males have a richer blue cap but "richer" is relative when I've nothing to compare with.
So..Question: Is it Male Female Juvenile ??

Advice appreciated.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	710453  
Old Tuesday 19th November 2019, 13:07   #2
PYRTLE

The colour tints ate not accurate, there should also be greens and yellow hues. It will not be a juvenile now, rather a 1st winter or perhaps even in adult plumage.
Old Tuesday 19th November 2019, 13:40   #3
ThomasW

This shot is unprocessed, straight from the box camera, but I do see green.

Would you say Male or Female?

Also, I noticed in this visit he/she seemed, if not agitated then, far more active than when it comes at night.
There's a window high in the side of the box which was getting far more attention today, possibly because of the extra daylight, which naturally isn't there in the evenings.
Probably normal..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	710471  
Old Saturday 23rd November 2019, 11:45   #4
ThomasW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRTLE View Post
The colour tints ate not accurate, there should also be greens and yellow hues. It will not be a juvenile now, rather a 1st winter or perhaps even in adult plumage.

OK, there's no shame in saying you don't know. After all I didn't either.
Old Saturday 23rd November 2019, 13:17   #5
PYRTLE

I'm not ashamed, just haven't got around to scrutinising the finer details. Gender identification is difficult enough, my thought is a male. The bird would feel threatened hence agitated if there was any ,let alone increased activity, at the entrance. All perfectly normal behaviour in my experience.

P
Old Saturday 23rd November 2019, 13:39   #6
ThomasW

I'd also come to the conclusion it was a "he".

Having watched that video many times, along with CCTV of the surrounding area, I can say undoubtedly that there was no activity anywhere near the nest box. I'm of the opinion that the daytime view was simply different to that at night and so he was just investigating thoroughly.
He certainly appears to have settled in now. Fingers crossed for the breeding season.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: