• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Song Thrush, early singing? (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
I get confused each year, progression of fime and all that. Thjs year I first heard Song Thrush song on 19th November. Anyone in IRL/UK heard earlier?

I get confused each year, progression of fime and all that. Thjs year I first heard Song Thrush song on 19th November. Anyone in IRL/UK heard earlier?

I heard two giving what I call 'real' song on 18 November this year. I've always known Song Thrush have a 2-3 week spell of 'real' singing in mid-November which then drops off in December and begins again late Jan/Feb. But in the last 2-3 autumns I've noticed something between 'real' song and 'sub or plastic song' a number of times in October (I've also seen nest-material gathering a few times in that month recently).

There's an absolutely fascinating paper somewhere in BB I'll see if I can find a link to later this evening that shows a six-year study of Song Thrush singing in (Oxfordshire?)

Not heard any Song Thrushes recently, but was surprised to hear a Grey Wagtail singing by a (very) small stream where I was working today. Maybe that's normal though?

Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming yesterday here in non-sunny North Devon.
I usually get Song Thrushes singing during the winter, but not yet this winter.

From observing my local Song Thrush singing in the late autumn/early winter, I have often thought that it may be to do with protecting the food source (ie fruit) on its territory when there is an abundance of fruit (my fruit trees and mixed berry bushes) supplemented by commercially bought apples and snails if mild and wet. The song is not the full out repertoire though. If later, ‘wintering’ thrush species move in (Fieldfare, Redwing, migrant Blackbirds) or it’s outnumbered by local Blackbirds competing for the same food, the Song Thrush stops singing/becomes the aggressee and eventually looses out to the ‘invaders’. The earliest Ive heard them move back in and stake breeeding territory is February.

All anecdotal but this paper gives some credence to the idea Song Thrush sing to defend winter food territories
https://britishbirds.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/article_files/V58/V58_N05/V58_N05_P161_175_A036.pdf

Last edited:
Not heard any Song Thrushes recently, but was surprised to hear a Grey Wagtail singing by a (very) small stream where I was working today. Maybe that's normal though?

I haven't heard Dipper singing for years but I seem to recall Oct-November being a good time to hear them?

Heard both Song and Mistle Thrushes singing in the last 2-3 weeks; that's perfectly normal, they always start singing in late autumn.

More unusually, heard a Blackbird singing today - they don't usually start singing until February (at least in this part of Britain, I've read they start earlier down south).

I heard two giving what I call 'real' song on 18 November this year. I've always known Song Thrush have a 2-3 week spell of 'real' singing in mid-November which then drops off in December and begins again late Jan/Feb. But in the last 2-3 autumns I've noticed something between 'real' song and 'sub or plastic song' a number of times in October (I've also seen nest-material gathering a few times in that month recently).

There's an absolutely fascinating paper somewhere in BB I'll see if I can find a link to later this evening that shows a six-year study of Song Thrush singing in (Oxfordshire?)
Many thanks Britseye, this tallies exactly with what I'm hearing. Not exactly full-on song, sounds more like shorter renditions of fewer 'phrases', doesn't last long, sounds a bit half-hearted. Not as weak as sub-song though. In contrast, a few times I've heard a Song Thrush, at this time if year, manically belting out one single, repeated 'phrase'. Meanwhile if the cureent rainy spell doesn't ease up, I'll go a bit manic myself.

One was singing at my vismig spot, Deans Lane near Loughborough, on November 3rd and again a few days later. I have heard two others at other places since.
It did strike me as very early.

Steve

Thanks for that. British Birds 96 * March 2003 *119-131

Are you able to perhaps pdf that one, too? It was a ten-year study in Bucks (not six in Oxfords!) authored by David Snow, who also wrote the fantastic Study of Blackbirds.

I’m away at the moment but when I get back in a few weeks, I’ll try and track it down for you:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back