Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Why are some area in the UK & Ireland County Patches have so few posts and threads?

Old Saturday 6th June 2015, 20:02   #1
IAN JAMES THOMPSON

Why are some area in the UK & Ireland County Patches have so few posts and threads?

I'm just wondering why some county's in the UK & Ireland by County Patches have very few posts and threads in some of the different county's, while others have lots of posts and threads.
One example is I've asked a question about the Isle of Wight where I'm hoping to be going on a bird watching annual holiday with my Newcastle Upon Tyne RSPB Group in June 2016 and as of yet I haven't had one reply. There are very few threads and posts in that section. I can just live in hope that I receive a reply from someone and I'll be most grateful if that happens.
Ian.
Old Saturday 6th June 2015, 21:26   #2
MSA
I may be relaxed but I'm not drunk....

In Dorset and Hampshire, for instance, there are lively Yahoo email groups for each, so news tends to be circulated that way; Birdforum is not necessarily all that popular with everyone in those groups, so whilst some info gets reposted here, much does not. IOW may be similar?

BF Supporter 2007 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 7th June 2015, 06:54   #3
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

I think there may be a number of reasons why some areas have little activity on BF, of which MSA has already touched on a few:

(1) Few active birders in the locality
(2) A well organised ornithological group with its own forum (Suffolk is an example of a bird rich county with very few posts on BF but an active SOG site)
(3) Well maintained bird information websites eg CBWPS and Cornwall Birding in Cornwall
(4) Other information / discussion groups via Yahoo, Twitter, Facebook etc
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: