Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Swarovski ATX85 vs Kowa 883+TE11WZ

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Saturday 31st August 2019, 05:45   #1
aektame
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Thailand
Posts: 12
Swarovski ATX85 vs Kowa 883+TE11WZ

I have been considered buying a scope but can't make the decision. Yes...I am hesitate between these two.

In Sydney, what I can find is:
Swaro ATX 85 at 4099AUD
Kowa 883 + TE11WZ at 4548AUD

As I studied, optical performances are very close, except the mobility of ATX seems the only advantage over 883. I will go for digiscoping as well.

Do you guys have suggestions?
aektame is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 31st August 2019, 06:38   #2
Ries
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 160
Funny, the price differences there in Australia vs here. Here the atx is about 1000 more expensive than the 883, then it's a choice easily made :) As I read, but no personal experience, they are quite on par with some specimen variance in the 883 and indeed some better portability (weight/size) in the atx. Where you're at, I'd probably save the $500 for a birding holiday and be happy with the atx.
Ries is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 31st August 2019, 07:27   #3
aektame
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Thailand
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ries View Post
Funny, the price differences there in Australia vs here. Here the atx is about 1000 more expensive than the 883, then it's a choice easily made :) As I read, but no personal experience, they are quite on par with some specimen variance in the 883 and indeed some better portability (weight/size) in the atx. Where you're at, I'd probably save the $500 for a birding holiday and be happy with the atx.
Thanks Ries
If I buy the adapter and scope case for them, the price for both will end up at around 4950 AUD. (Kowa accessories are cheaper)

Swaro price here also amazes me because I had thought that Kowa price is a bit lower.
aektame is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 31st August 2019, 10:41   #4
Torview
Registered User
 
Torview's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dartmoor.
Posts: 2,212
I recently purchased an ATX85 over the 883 mostly because I hate SOC`s, and the rubber armour on the ATX means I feel happy using it without a case. If I put them side by side I`d probably put the Kowa a fraction ahead optically, but out in the field that fraction is quickly forgotten IMHO. I also really like the ergonomics of the ATX, having the zoom/focus together is very fast and efficient.
Torview is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 31st August 2019, 12:14   #5
jring
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,159
Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

Actually the ATX85 is a little bit heavier than the Kowa 883 with the wide angle zoom. But it's less than 100g, so can be safely ignored.

Since you seem to be in a position to try both scopes, I would recommend to try both and if you find an example that you like and that is nice and sharp at 60x (or even with the extender), to get exactly that example. Sample variation is unfortunately a thing.
The focus mechanism is also a major difference - some like Swaro style, some don't.

Joachim
jring is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 31st August 2019, 15:53   #6
aektame
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Thailand
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torview View Post
I recently purchased an ATX85 over the 883 mostly because I hate SOC`s, and the rubber armour on the ATX means I feel happy using it without a case. If I put them side by side I`d probably put the Kowa a fraction ahead optically, but out in the field that fraction is quickly forgotten IMHO. I also really like the ergonomics of the ATX, having the zoom/focus together is very fast and efficient.
Thank s Torview,
At this moment, I think I will go for ATX. For focusing, it doesn't matter for me.
aektame is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 31st August 2019, 16:42   #7
aektame
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Thailand
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jring View Post
Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

Actually the ATX85 is a little bit heavier than the Kowa 883 with the wide angle zoom. But it's less than 100g, so can be safely ignored.

Since you seem to be in a position to try both scopes, I would recommend to try both and if you find an example that you like and that is nice and sharp at 60x (or even with the extender), to get exactly that example. Sample variation is unfortunately a thing.
The focus mechanism is also a major difference - some like Swaro style, some don't.

Joachim
Hi Joachim,
I have visited the forum for a while...as an observer. I'm fine with its weight, just use it for easy trekking or nature observation not hunting. Will post more after get the scope.
aektame is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 2nd September 2019, 00:47   #8
MKinHK
Mike Kilburn
 
MKinHK's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,465
Look forward to hearing your thoughts as I have been considering both of these.

Cheers
Mike
__________________

Hong Kong: Red-backed Shrike, Chinese Grey Shrike, Japanese Night Heron (477)
Greater China: European Golden Plover, Glossy Ibis, Japanese Night Heron (974)
Lifer: Tennessee Warbler, Copper Pheasant, Japanese Night Heron
MKinHK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 3rd September 2019, 23:18   #9
Alexis Powell
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LY+DG counties, Kansas, USA
Posts: 3,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torview View Post
I recently purchased an ATX85 over the 883 mostly because I hate SOC`s, and the rubber armour on the ATX means I feel happy using it without a case...
I also dislike SOCs and I have an 884. As with all my scopes, I wrapped it in McNett camo-form. That is a superb product but I wish it came in other (non-camo) colors. I use the snow camo, then hand color the mostly white material as desired. Anyone know if there is a competing brand that offers better colors?

--AP
Alexis Powell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 4th September 2019, 00:55   #10
MKinHK
Mike Kilburn
 
MKinHK's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,465
I am considering the same KOWA combination. If you buy it tax free in Japan from the giant BIC CAMERA chain the cost is AU$3391!

Maybe go to Japan for birding and buy the scope then?!

Cheers
Mike
__________________

Hong Kong: Red-backed Shrike, Chinese Grey Shrike, Japanese Night Heron (477)
Greater China: European Golden Plover, Glossy Ibis, Japanese Night Heron (974)
Lifer: Tennessee Warbler, Copper Pheasant, Japanese Night Heron
MKinHK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 4th September 2019, 03:58   #11
marcsantacurz
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Powell View Post
I also dislike SOCs and I have an 884. As with all my scopes, I wrapped it in McNett camo-form. That is a superb product but I wish it came in other (non-camo) colors. I use the snow camo, then hand color the mostly white material as desired. Anyone know if there is a competing brand that offers better colors?

--AP
I use McNett too. Here's the home page for it that shows the varieties.

https://www.gearaid.com/products/cam...18469277401185
__________________
https://tear.com
marcsantacurz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 4th September 2019, 08:13   #12
aektame
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Thailand
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKinHK View Post
I am considering the same KOWA combination. If you buy it tax free in Japan from the giant BIC CAMERA chain the cost is AU$3391!

Maybe go to Japan for birding and buy the scope then?!

Cheers
Mike
This is interesting but unfortunately I don't have a plan to go to Japan. I can't wait any longer. Cheers
aektame is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 4th September 2019, 11:01   #13
Vespobuteo
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Utopia
Posts: 2,142
It's a hard choice. Both are good scopes. To me it mostly comes down to handling and how the eye pice fits your eye socket. You really need to try them to know.

I would lean to the ATX considering it's cheaper and that I prefer the focus and zoom controls on the Swaro.
Vespobuteo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 4th September 2019, 11:30   #14
Sandra (Taylor)
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019
 
Sandra (Taylor)'s Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Yorkshire
Posts: 7,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by aektame View Post
This is interesting but unfortunately I don't have a plan to go to Japan. I can't wait any longer. Cheers
We were undecided about which of these two we wanted and tried the two, separately and - together when In Focus obtained a second model so we could try them side by side. n the day, we plumped for the KIowa and don't regret it one bit. Each time I use it I have to stop myself from saying "Wow!" But no doubt the Swaro is the same .
Sandra (Taylor) is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 30th September 2019, 05:57   #15
aektame
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Thailand
Posts: 12
Finally I got the Swaro atx85. The scope is great as I expected, bright, sharp, clear, good contrast.

Thanks for all comments. :)
aektame is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swarovski ATS HD 65 vs. Kowa TSN 603 ED Dialyt Swarovski 17 Wednesday 6th April 2016 07:33
Kowa 883 vs Swarovski ATX 95 binomania Kowa 0 Friday 31st August 2012 07:34
Swarovski ATM HD 65 mm vs. Kowa TSN 773 Dixie07 Spotting Scopes & tripod/heads 2 Friday 30th September 2011 19:00

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.21462488 seconds with 27 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:34.