• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PCF 8x40 WP II VS. 8x42 DCF HR II - which is better?? (1 Viewer)

New here!

So I need a good pair of 8x birding/hunting binos.

I can get the 8x40 PCF WP II (porro) for $120 OR I can get the 8x42 DCF HR II (roof) for $150.

I am pretty much set on Pentax. Which one would you get? Any personal experiences with either?

I know $ for $ it is easier to make a porro than a roof prism bino. FYI the retail price of porro and roof are $208 & $363 so I am getting a substatial discount on both.

Is it worth the extra $30 for the HR II (roof prism)? Which one has a better image?

I searched the internet extensively on both models and have not found many reviews. The specs for both binos are very similar except the prism type. What say ye??

Thanks!!

I've just spent several months collecting data for a small binocular review.. Include in my list of 30 binoculars are the PCF 8x40 WP II and the 10x42 DCF HR II. The PCF 8x40 ranks fairly close to the top of the list. The DCF HR II 10x42 ranks very close to the bottom of the list. In the roof DCF HR II 10x42, resolution normal, resolution boosted 6x and resolution handheld all measured near the bottom of the charts while in the porro PCF 8x40 WP II all three of those measurement were near the top of the charts.

The WP II has a slightly wider fov and has a slightly wider sharp fov.

Both of these binoculars rated in the lowest group for distribution and balance of light within the exit pupil.

Both have nearly the same close focus distance PCF= 11ft DCF=12ft, BUT both are very slow focus, not really a desirable trait if you are a birder.

The roof has more pincushion than the porro.

I'd recommend the porro WP II over the roof DR II. In optical tests it scores higher.

I will grant you however that the DCF HR II 8x42 could be considerably different than the 10x42.

edz

Thanks Edz!

Thats exactly the input I was looking for. Do you think the porro is a good deal for $120?

What do you recommend for a good 8x birding and hunting bino for under $200? Who was at the top of your list?

Thanks!

For $120 it's a very good deal. However, I just bought mine not long ago and they were $149.

Other binoculars that perform equally or near as well: Nikon Action Extreme 8x40 porro and Bushnell legend 8x42 roof.

edz

I know the HRc replaces the HRII but are not sure of the differences or improvements in the the HRc.

I am still torn. I guess I will get the Pentax 8x40 PCF porro.

I would go with the PCF

I have never seen one good review of the HRII. I have the older non WP version of the 8x40 PCF. Great bino's. As long as Pentax did not deviate too far from them, don't worry.

Thanks Peter.

Searching for a binocular under $250 is a daunting task!

There is such a selection. Seems the new roof prism have come a long way with all having the phase coatings.

Here is my list:

Pentax 8x40 PCF WP II
Bushnell Legend 8x42
Bushnell Discoverer 8x42

I can get the Discoverer for $219.

I dont mind spending the extra $100 for the roofs over the Pentax porro, I just want to make sure it is worth it.

Just to let you know I pulled the trigger on the porro's.

I got them for $117 with shipping from Beach Camera. I will let you know how they turn out!

Usually, you have to pay at least twice the price for getting the same optical performance with roof prism design than porro prism. Therefore it's a strong reason to expect that the WP II is better than the DCF HR II. But I have not tried or compared these two models, so I cannot give an opinion. According to several users at Cloudy Nights the new Pentax WP II serie are worse than the predecessors, however.
Please tell your opinions anyway!

Regards, Patric

.....UPDATE......

I chickened out, cancelled my Pentax order and went with the Browing 8x32 roof prism. I got them for $150. I think they are comparable to the Bushnell Legend, maybe slightly sharper.

We will see!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back