• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

can you improve video quality (1 Viewer)

ray turley

I have currently been using a fuji z1 in video mode.it gives 640 x480 pixels@30 frames per second through my swaroski x30 scope.this gives me approximately 21-63 mags. although I am pleased with the results but would like to improve on them (ie. higher number of pixels). I believe that panasonic have two cameras the dmc fx500 and the dmc fx37 that may improve on the number of pixels (1280 x720) @ the same frame rate of 30 frames per second also the new samsung nv100hd out in august does the same. The main problem seems to be that all of these new cameras have extending zoom lenses which means that every time you change the zoom you have to change the distance between the camera and the scope.
The sony sr10 video camera also seens to work well but only at the wide angle setting so only giving about 24 mags. has anyone any better ideas for getting better quality video preferably full hd .cheers ray

I think the simple answer is that a dedicated video camera is bound to work more effectively as the lens doesn't extend externally when zooming optically. From postings in this forum you'll see that lower magnification zooms and smaller diameter lenses seem to work best when videoscoping. An excellent thread can be found here.

Remember too that when moving to HD your editing, storage, DVD creation and playback all require different hardware to make the most of your camera but it's clearly not an issue of you simply intend playing back directly through an HD TV. All this was discussed recently here.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back