• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod for Nikon ED82 (1 Viewer)

Hello, Thanks to the wonderful information on this site, I have just taken
possession of my first Fieldscope: a Nikon ED82 with 38x W MC and 25x-75x zoom MC eyepieces, FSA-L1 digital SLR attachment, and Stay On Case.

My next acquisition has to be a proper tripod. I'm open to all suggestions.

I have so enjoyed reading the helpful, friendly, balanced advice given on
BirdForum...what a refreshing discovery! Thank you

Hi rutlandH2O, a warm welcome to you from the BirdForum Moderators & Administration. Good to have you with us :t: ! Try asking your question in the Tripod and Heads forum. I'm sure you'll get all the help you need there.

Hi Rutland, I´ve got the same scope and eyepieces as you (plus the 30xw which I use more, but the 38xw has many dedicated fans). Excellent choice of scope! I´m perfectly happy with my Manfrotto 128RC head and 190D tripod, they do just the job. I don´t know much about tripods, though, and imagine if you have extra moolah to spare, people might advise you to get more sophisticated gizmos. Congratulations on your new kit, Happy Birding!

(...) I have just taken
possession of my first Fieldscope: a Nikon ED82 with 38x W MC and 25x-75x zoom MC eyepieces, FSA-L1 digital SLR attachment, and Stay On Case.

My next acquisition has to be a proper tripod. I'm open to all suggestions.
(...)

I own the same scope like you for some weeks now (isn't it great?) and to my discomfort discovered that my alloy Manfrotto 055 tripod (= Bogen 3021) was too shaky in windy conditions, even if I didn't use the centerpost. After some research (or, as my wife would say, after much too much playing with the toys) I decided on a carbon tripod from Feisol, the CT-3372. It is really tall (1.55m), folds down to 0.67m, weights 1.8kg only and the nicest thing: it is sturdy enough. In fact, the Feisol vibrates less than a two-piece Berlebach 4032 - this says a lot! It compares easily with a series 3 Gitzo at 60% of their price. At >400 Euros still anything else but cheap, really, but well worth the money IMHO. Its predecessor, the CT-3371, is available for less than 300 Euros.
HTH and best regards!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your advice, everyone. I've got a bit of work, now, deciding which
tripod to purchase. What about the heads, are they bought separately? What should I look
for? Thanks again

Velbon Kit vs. Bog/Man

Hello all,

I've been bouncing back and forth looking for a replacement scope for my chinsy Yukon and after months of reading up on them have also decided to go with the Nikon ED82. Now it seems like a good time to also replace my antique and heavy Slik tripod. I've read many favorable coments on the Bog/Man 128RC/190XB set up but now I'm looking hard at the Velbon FHD 61Q/635 CF leg combo. It costs a bit more (about $100) but has a 7" height advantage at 68.5 vs 61.6 and is lighter at only 4.5 lbs vs 6.2. They both have an 11lb max load so even there. Does anyone have the Velbon set up, how do you like it and which would you go with & why? Thanks for any help you can offer.B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back