• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery duck (1 Viewer)

Joern Lehmhus

This I found in the net doing a search on hybrid ducks...probably I am really mean in posting this, but I just could not resist...

please guess...

Attachments

• GADWx.jpg
    GADWx.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 188
  • GADWx2.jpg
    GADWx2.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 170
Flesh & blood.

Gadwall's flesh, and someone else's blood. Could be Silver Teal, could be Common Teal, could be Philippine Duck, could be Bahama Pintail, could be . . .

Michael

It's always fascinating the way some Anas hybrids can resemble a third species altogether.

I presume Gadwall is involved somewhere, perhaps the other parent is something as mundane as a Common Teal?

Spud

Yep, Gadwall x Northern Pintail it is.

So Larry wins the coconut!

Seen a photograph of a museum specimen of this combination looking exactly the same, otherwise I wouldn´t have known.

But several Gadwall hybrids seem to get this strange head pattern not seen in the parents...

I added another gadwell hybrid with a similar head pattern...though the other species involved is easily recognised here

Attachments

• gadshov.jpg
    gadshov.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 171
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back