• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Alicante Province (2 Viewers)

Hi lazza. Where that road turns to a rocky track there is a villa called Finca Bonelli's Eagle. Named because the cliffs above it hold a well known Bonelli's Eagle nest. The owners Colin & Jane do b & b and I have stayed there before for a few day. It's superb to sit outside with a beer and watch the Bonelli's Eagle while a Black Wheatear hops around your feet. Aah memories.

Hi lazza. Where that road turns to a rocky track there is a villa called Finca Bonelli's Eagle. Named because the cliffs above it hold a well known Bonelli's Eagle nest. The owners Colin & Jane do b & b and I have stayed there before for a few day. It's superb to sit outside with a beer and watch the Bonelli's Eagle while a Black Wheatear hops around your feet. Aah memories.

Aha! I had always wondered where this place was, but I was under the impression (don't know why) that it had closed...? I do remember there were several people sitting out on that terrace as I headed back down the track, but thought it must be just locals enjoying watching the puffing-and-panting British idiot out on a bike at midday!! The small canyon that ran uphill from that last finca was one of the places I think I saw Rock Sparrow, and looking back at my notes, I am wondering if I could have also seen Calandra Lark there (very large pale brown bird flying away from me but with noticeable facial markings). Anyway, next year, I'll be better prepared (better bins and more homework on what to expect!!)

I did hear a rumour that they were selling the finca but not sure how true that was. I wouldn't have thought you would get Calandra up there but we did see Thekla Lark.

Wonderful sight of 35 Bee Eaters flying over Encebras near Pinoso late this afternoon, have never seen such a large flock. Upwards of 100 Chough riding the thermals earlier too

I might be going to Elche over the Christmas period any interesting places nearby?

Yes! Lots! Check the Costa Blanca Bird Club website, there is a page dedicated to sites in the southern Costa Blanca. There's also a guide to species, giving you a pointer of what you might see at that time of year, and where to see them.

El Hondo (also called El Fondo in the Valencian dialect) is very close to Elche, and probably the best reserve in the area, with lots of winter visitors to see (although I've never been there in winter!), but there are also coastal salt pans (Salinas) to visit, with basic hides at El Pinet beach.

Yes! Lots! Check the Costa Blanca Bird Club website, there is a page dedicated to sites in the southern Costa Blanca. There's also a guide to species, giving you a pointer of what you might see at that time of year, and where to see them.

El Hondo (also called El Fondo in the Valencian dialect) is very close to Elche, and probably the best reserve in the area, with lots of winter visitors to see (although I've never been there in winter!), but there are also coastal salt pans (Salinas) to visit, with basic hides at El Pinet beach.

Thanks a lot

Spotted Eagle!

David

Just a couple of shots from the summer: 400+ egrets and ibis take flight (taken with my phone!) and flamingos on Santa Pola Salinas (taken with my compact camera).... really must invest in a better camera out in Spain!

Attachments

• egret+ibis.jpg
    egret+ibis.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 100
  • flamingos2.jpg
    flamingos2.jpg
    515.5 KB · Views: 100
Yesterday late afternoon - one of the great sights which makes this area so worthwhile...

For those who know the area, there was a flock of at least 200 Bee-eaters just south of the Vistabella Road at El Hondo along the farm track leading to the Palm Farm Road. Incredible sight and sound, there could well have been more of them hunting over nearby fields which had become flooded after last weekends heavy rain.

Attachments

• B.JPG
    B.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 91
  • B1.JPG
    B1.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 98
  • B2.JPG
    B2.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 92
  • B3.JPG
    B3.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 87
  • B4.JPG
    B4.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 99
Nice photos, Mark.

There seemed to be very few bee-eater around for me this summer. Only had them over the house a few times, and hardly saw any at all around the caminos where I cycle and usually see them regularly (including the track where you took those photos). On the plus side, and sticking with the colourful visitors, there seemed to be a glut of rollers this summer :)

Yes there have been quite a few Rollers in the area and a shortage of Bee-eaters and also Woodchats - I've only seen one of the latter this summer!

Had my first Bluethroat of the autumn last Friday in the Clot de Galvany, reports from other areas suggest there will be quite a few of them around this winter.

Attachments

• DSC_9790.JPG
    DSC_9790.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_9811.JPG
    DSC_9811.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 94
Lovely shots, Mark. I really must try to get out there in the Autumn/Winter one year....!

Yes, now you mention it, I only saw one woodchat shrike, too, the last day I was there over Easter, and none at all this summer. Didn't see one at all at my "dead-cert" location on any visit (the scrub to the east of the N332 at the La Marina Mercadona roundabout).

Great shots Mark.

My son Is In the Alicante area just now but he wouldn't know a Bee-eater from a Blackbird..! This thread may tempt me to look at this area for next years holidays,Instead of Mallorca.

Im back out for the first time in ages Mark in late November so hoping to catch up with all the regular stuff and fingers crossed get into the mountains to check for Accentors etc. Any updated info is welcome.

As suspected, there are even more Bluethroats here than in previous years, saw a group of 15-20 birds in the Clot de Galvany last week. Also had my best-ever sighting of a Wryneck there, and there seem to be higher numbers of Marsh Harriers about than usual.

Red-rumped Swallows also still here in good numbers.

Attachments

• DSC_0190.JPG
    DSC_0190.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC_0255.JPG
    DSC_0255.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC_0385.JPG
    DSC_0385.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC_0162.JPG
    DSC_0162.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 94
Mark, they are fabulous pictures I'll be around Clot de Galvany later this week and have never seen a Wryneck, can you give me a clue where that little beauty was please, I would love to see one.

Hope this works for you Tony

If you look at my Opus page in conjunction with the attached map, I have added in the hide locations. The Wryneck was at the Marsh Hide (there is a clear path to it not shown on Google Maps but I have put it in).

I have to say this was only the third time I've seen a Wryneck there this year, the other two views were of a very distant bird in the trees from the marsh hide. It looks unpromising at first, but if you're willing to be patient and spend some time there, it can be very productive - especially the bushes to the right of the hide.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Clotmap.png
    Clotmap.png
    131.7 KB · Views: 126
Thanks Mark, I know exactly where that hide is, had lovely views of a pied flycatcher last time I was there. I will have a look later this week. Appreciate your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back