• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Meostar B1 8x32 diopter wheel marker not in the ok position (1 Viewer)

oracleman

Hi,
I already saw another thread related to diopter wheel I just realized that my meostar 8x32 has the marker of the -0+ not in the correct position aligned on the center.

Is this normal on this kind of binoculars? I question this because I think this is a really fantastic binocular (good to handle, flat field, good colors, very sharp almost to the edge...). The only things that does not work 100% ok are some flare when the sun is down (notorious but only on the half down of the eyepieces) and a little softening of the image on the very edge when paning on cloudy days with not too much light.

Now I'm wondering if this two issues are normal on Meostar B1 8x32 or are also related to quality issues as it seems the dioptre marker position.

Have you experienced something similar on the meostar 8x32?

thanks in advance

Attachments

• bino.jpg
    bino.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 172
Hi,
I already saw another thread related to diopter wheel I just realized that my meostar 8x32 has the marker of the -0+ not in the correct position aligned on the center.

Is this normal on this kind of binoculars? I question this because I think this is a really fantastic binocular (good to handle, flat field, good colors, very sharp almost to the edge...). The only things that does not work 100% ok are some flare when the sun is down (notorious but only on the half down of the eyepieces) and a little softening of the image on the very edge when paning on cloudy days with not too much light.

Now I'm wondering if this two issues are normal on Meostar B1 8x32 or are also related to quality issues as it seems the dioptre marker position.

Have you experienced something similar on the meostar 8x32?

thanks in advance

Allbinos pictures of the diopter in the Meostar 8x32 show this mark in the center but I would think that it should not make any difference in how the diopter works even if it is not centered.

https://www.allbinos.com/917-Meopta_Meostar_B1_8x32-binoculars_specifications.html

I think that this permanent mark which indicates the center position of the diopter can be anywhere Meopta wants to place it on the dial. It doesn't have to be dead center in the middle of the dial as you normally see it.

All it does is indicate whether the diopter has been moved to the + (plus) side or the - (minus) side as needed by the user.

Has yours been in that position since you purchased it? If it has, I would not worry about it.

The flare problem you mention when the sun is low is not related to it. In fact the flare is happening when one would expect flare to happen; which is when the sun is low.

Bob

Last edited:
Ocarcleman (post #1),
all the MeoStars in my collection exhibit the same. Here is a pic of just three of them, which shows not only that the „0“ mark is not at the center in all of them, but also that the diopter adjustment is not fully aligned to the zero mark in some.
While the second one can be considered a small flaw, resulting from less than perfect quality control (of course, the same is true for many of my binos, including some of the top glasses), I believe the first „issue“ - the position of the „0“ mark - is part of the bino design at Meopta.

Canip

Attachments

• 69F0EB34-3322-4456-953A-EB4EEE36FBC8.jpeg
    69F0EB34-3322-4456-953A-EB4EEE36FBC8.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 157
Thanks a lot from your responses! You relaxed me a lot!!!

Has yours been in that position since you purchased it? If it has, I would not worry about it.

Yes, always on the same position.

The flare problem you mention when the sun is low is not related to it. In fact the flare is happening when one would expect flare to happen; which is when the sun is low.

Yes, in fact on some other binoculars I had previously, the flares were larger so you're right, not much to worry about them.

all the MeoStars in my collection exhibit the same. Here is a pic of just three of them, which shows not only that the „0“ mark is not at the center in all of them, but also that the diopter adjustment is not fully aligned to the zero mark in some.
While the second one can be considered a small flaw, resulting from less than perfect quality control (of course, the same is true for many of my binos, including some of the top glasses), I believe the first „issue“ - the position of the „0“ mark - is part of the bino design at Meopta.

Yeah! that photos are just like my binoculars, the same mark position.

FYI, it's also the same in the older Cabela's version (Euro HD 8X32).

Thanks Peter, I think it's consistent as they are basically the same...

So I think I must be relaxed and simple enjoy the view of these fantastic binoculars... I'm ver very paranoic with binoculars quality and optics xP

Thank you all very much!

Wheel marker not in the middle

Hi Pin.., eh Canip (post 3 - we miss you at Jülich forum!):

"all the MeoStars in my collection exhibit the same"

My 7x42 and my 12x50 HD have both the lower marker (seen from above as your photographs shows) in the middle. But I have to correct the wheels about 2 clicks to the right to the same position. A Meostar feature indeed ...

Besides: none of my bins have the corrected position in the middle!

I guess your photograph shows the Meostar 8x42, 10x50 and 7x42?

Greetings
Markus

Last edited:
Hi Pin.., eh Canip (post 3 - we miss you at Jülich forum!):

"all the MeoStars in my collection exhibit the same"

My 7x42 and my 12x50 HD have both the lower marker (seen from above as your photographs shows) in the middle. But I have to correct the wheels about 2 clicks to the right to the same position. A Meostar feature indeed ...

Besides: none of my bins have the corrected position in the middle!

I guess your photograph shows the Meostar 8x42, 10x50 and 7x42?

Greetings
Markus

Good guess, Markus! You hit one out of three... it showed the 8x42, 15x56 HD and 10x2 HD.

And thanks for the info on your Meoptas - so there seems to be at least some variation across the range.

Greetings southwest into beautiful Argovia.
caniP ;)

Last edited:
oracleman (and canip),

Your binos are partially folded. Unfold (straighten) them completely, and you will see the marker return to a central position.

oracleman (and canip),

Your binos are partially folded. Unfold (straighten) them completely, and you will see the marker return to a central position.

You are right Phil! Thanks for pointing it, I think that what made me crazy is that I needed to move the dioptre settings as I have no any issue at the moment on any eye.

I think is only a curiosity on the design, not really a mistake on this pair as provided on previous images.

Regards

Enviado desde mTalk

You are right Phil! Thanks for pointing it, I think that what made me crazy is that I needed to move the dioptre settings as I have no any issue at the moment on any eye.

I think is only a curiosity on the design, not really a mistake on this pair as provided on previous images.

Regards

Enviado desde mTalk

You're quite welcome. And I would agree w/your evaluation.

Phil

oracleman (and canip),

Your binos are partially folded. ......

Fair enough.
But this is the position in which I use them.
So I would still maintain that Meopta’s design causes my MeoStars to show the 0 dpt mark slightly off-axis when I use them.
:)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back