• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (5 Viewers)

Willow Warblers atarting to trickle back through -with bright juveniles noted around Chatley and Hawford this morning.

A female-type Redstart between Mildenham and Chatley - the hedges around the small hayfields and pastures around here are often a hotspot for this species at this time of year.

A Hobby flew over Chatley area.

A Common Tern near Hawford briefly.

An adult and two well-grown Little Owls sat in the oak tree in Linacres paddocks near Egg Lane.

Up to 10 Cormorants flying around.

Little Egret Coney Meadow perched in tree along the river.
Female Redstart between Mildenham and Chatley.
Juvenile Little Owl Linacres paddocks.
Juv Willow Warbler Mildenham
Sedge Warbler, Reed Warblers, Blackcap, Chiffchaffs, Yellowhammer, 2 Ravens, Sparrowhawk, Buzzards.

Painted Lady, Brimstone, Holly Blue, Brown Hawkers, Southern Hawkers

Yellow Wagtail over Egg Lane calling.

Female Redstart at Ladywood earlier and Little Owl.

Little Grebe between Hawford and Chatley.

Last edited:
14 Glow worms this evening - at least two new.

Tawny Owl calling from near the allotments.

Hobby hunting over Droitwich Community Woods earlier and one seen this morning near Ladywood.

About 100 Swallows and a few Sand Martins roosted at Coney.

A few Willow Warblers around Mildenham this morning - one singing.

Last edited:
Grass Snake Species

Now that Grass Snake has been split into 2 species (Barred and Eastern), it might be worth reviewing the photos taken on the patch over the years:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40853286

Photos 3 and 4 show snakes with distinct bars but they have bright yellow around the back of the head (collar).

Apparently, the characteristics of the Barred Grass Snake (Natrix helvetica) include a greyer colouration, lack of distinct yellow collar and more obvious barring.

The ones in the photos are probably all Common or Eastern Grass Snakes (Natrix natrix) but it would be good to get an expert opinion.

Attachments

• Grass snake 1.jpg
    Grass snake 1.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Grass snake 2.jpg
    Grass snake 2.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 70
  • Grass snake 3.jpg
    Grass snake 3.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Grass Snake 4.jpg
    Grass Snake 4.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 76
Now that Grass Snake has been split into 2 species (Barred and Eastern), it might be worth reviewing the photos taken on the patch over the years:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40853286

Photos 3 and 4 show snakes with distinct bars but they have bright yellow around the back of the head (collar).

Apparently, the characteristics of the Barred Grass Snake (Natrix helvetica) include a greyer colouration, lack of distinct yellow collar and more obvious barring.

The ones in the photos are probably all Common or Eastern Grass Snakes (Natrix natrix) but it would be good to get an expert opinion.

Hi Dave,

My understanding is that it's just a reclassification and there are not two species in the UK.

The UK population (Natrix natrix helvetica) now proposed as Natrix helvetica.

Usual sloppy reporting by the mainstream media.

Brian

Hi Dave,

My understanding is that it's just a reclassification and there are not two species in the UK.

The UK population (Natrix natrix helvetica) now proposed as Natrix helvetica.

Usual sloppy reporting by the mainstream media.

Brian

Cheers Brian,

I thought the reports seemed a bit confusing regarding characteristics - I saw on-line write-ups in the Guardian and the Birmingham Mail.

They (and the BBC) did claim there are now 4 species of Snakes in the UK and the new taxon is Natrix helvetica.

As you say, could just be sloppy reporting. I think I'll do more reading. :t:

I should have realised the ineptitude of the mainstream media (including the BBC) - a few years ago they reported on the decline of 'Hawkfinches' (sic) in the UK. :eek!:

The following claims in the (BBC and other) articles are clearly inaccurate:

'A new type of snake has been discovered in the UK, bringing the total number of species to four.' and 'Both types of grass snake are normally found in lowland regions in the south of England.'

I don't know why the BBC don't run these press releases past Brett Westwood before they publish them - I think he still works for them and he would, no doubt, sort out the facts for them before they publish. :t:

Three Spotted Flycatchers near Chatley - in hedge with other passerines.

Adult Hobby chasing hirundines.

Common Tern over Hawford.

Last edited:
A Tern sp. over the back of High Park about 15 mins ago - flew down the valley but too distant. Probably Common.

Other species today include singing Willow Warbler, Sedge and Reed, Cormorant, Kingfisher, Kestrels, Linnets, a few Swifts, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Heron, Raven, etc.

Brown Hare near Knight's Grove.

Not a bad morning so far:

2 Redstarts - a male near Blossom Farm, Chatley and another less well marked bird about a quarter of a mile away between Chatley and Mildenham.

1 Yellow Wagtail over Tapenhall.

Three Hobbies over Knight's Grove including at least one juv. Another over Tapenhall.

Little Egret over Mildenham.

Four Redstarts this morning - a well marked male between Chatley and Mildenham and two males and a female between Hawford and the confluence.

Common Tern fishing along the canal near Hawford and two earlier over the fishing pools.

Hobby over Hawford.

Good selection of warblers including 4+ Lesser Whitethroats, singing Willow Warblers, Sedge Warblers and Whitethroats.

Two Little Owls Linacres paddocks (1 juv).

2 Brown Hares near Knight's Grove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back