• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So I was wondering ? (2 Viewers)

... Mobile devices etc work for the latter use, but not the former, at least for me. Even for the latter use, I find it irritating to have to fish them out of my pocket rather than just stealing a glance at my wrist.

--AP

Recently I became annoyed for the same reason except I have to fish the phone out of a small pack or bag.

I do miss using a wrist watch and I have been looking the past few days online to find a nice one which will be durable. I'd like to have a fancy one with an anti-glare coating. But, the high end ones seem to have this and they aren't cheap.

How old are most of the people on this thread, claiming to be into watches? ... ;)

Careful now! ;)

Me, no spring chicken, I carry the biggest, baddest, latest iPhone in my pocket, and wear the cheapest available analogue-dialed watch on my wrist. Hauling a phone out of jeans pockets for casual time checks is just too much of a hassle.

Careful now! ;)

Me, no spring chicken, I carry the biggest, baddest, latest iPhone in my pocket, and wear the cheapest available analogue-dialed watch on my wrist. Hauling a phone out of jeans pockets for casual time checks is just too much of a hassle.

Ditto
and to own and wear a watch isn't neccessarily to be 'in to' anything.

A

Last edited:
Hauling a phone out of jeans pockets for casual time checks is just too much of a hassle.
What is this "casual time check" you speak of?

I mean, if the time check lacks enough importance to fish my phone out of my bag or unclip it from my waist, then I always figured I really didn't care enough to know what time it is.

I found ditching a watch quite liberating that way. ;)

Seriously though, I did find ditching a watch, and not having a clock in my vehicles, to be very useful for not feeling the need to rush when I really shouldn't. It was one of the more medium-sized ways of bringing some calm to my life. I still carry a top-end smartphone, but there's a good chance it's buried in my bag on any given day.

I'm in my mid-40s and work in tech, and a full-time cyclist/motorcyclist.

A quality mechanical watch is one of the very few things you can buy yourself when you first start earning, and which if cared for properly with a service when needed can still be with you when you retire and beyond, you can`t say that about a smartphone, I still have my first quality watch from 1980, it cost me 3 weeks wages, its been serviced a good few times, still running and keeping good time, still love it as much as the day I bought it, only the original bracelet has failed and I can`t get links now, so it lives on an old Nato I had lying around.

Attachments

• P1020295.jpg
    P1020295.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 331
I'm glad motorcycling, then smartphones, broke me from staring at my watch so much. Life is so much calmer with one less reason to feel rushed.

Of course, if I ever find another decent fitness watch I may yet have my resolve tested...

Where did THIS topic area come from??? : )

I just found this topic. I normally only view "Binoculars" (that's the actual link to Birdforum on my "favorites" toolbar so I go straight to that subforum).

I am a "sometimes" watch fan but lately have been "digital only" (for whatever that implies!) I tried the mechanical/automatic thing three different times and after the last ($2300) mistake (Sinn U1) I realized that automatics are NEVER going to work for me. Without a lengthy explanation on that, I'll say that my last two watches have been a Suunto Vector (around 10 years of use!) and a Casio Rangemaster. As awesome as the Rangemaster is, I like the LARGE numbers on the Sunnto so I still wear it some. 49 year old eyes.... :-O

I (like another poster) sometimes don't wear one because of long sleeves and cuffs, but not for motorcycle clothing-just everyday street clothes.

...I (like another poster) sometimes don't wear one because of long sleeves and cuffs, but not for motorcycle clothing-just everyday street clothes.

One of the reasons I like field watches in general, and the very flat Hamilton Khaki quartz models in particular (which have domed crystals) is that they are intentionally flat and thin to fit flush and not interfere with most cuffs.

--AP

I wear this model Rolex Daytona, its a nice watch and I bought it as I reached a mile stone in life .
I was going to buy another Rolex for Xmas but bought a Harley Davison instead .
The Harley is more fun than the watch that's for sure :)
Rob.

Attachments

• Rolex.jpg
    Rolex.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 249
I use the Casio Gulfmaster 1000 for my wildlife trips.
Tells me temperature, tide levels, altitude, has a compass and a barometer as well. Works very well for the purpose of documentation.

I only wish it had a GPS to mark my spotting locations.

Attachments

• GWN1000B-1B_xlarge copy.jpg
    GWN1000B-1B_xlarge copy.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 256
After being a long time original G-Shock user (deepest solo dive @205'), I've been using Timex Ironman variants for about 10 yr mainly to facilitate simple interval training for my paddling.

Out of nostalgia I contemplated getting a traditional automatic Seiko dive (surfer's) watch about a year ago. The desire for the Seiko eventually became one for a Seamaster, then of course I've always wanted a Submariner. I still have a Timex, but talk about a slippery slope.

Last edited:
I'm known for my watches and my bino's. At least that's what my wife says when she sees that the bank account is a bit lighter once more.

Anyway, once you get passed the 'Rolex' aura, you'll find they make pretty decent watches that are a joy to wear and will last a lifetime. Explorer and a Sub Date. The Explorer is by far the best and most comfortable watch I have laid hands on.

I bought a stainless steel Rolex Submariner date in 1985 and wore it in the field (and everywhere else) except when my birding took me places that such an expensive timepiece made me fearful of mugging or worse. Since I often birded alone I felt this was a reasonable apprehension to have. Remember also, a ss Submariner could be bought new from a dealer for around $1200 in 1985. It's closer to $9K today new from an AD.
It's for the same reason I usually bird with an older pair of Alpha binos in the same environment. I don't feel the need to keep some junkie in the ozone for a week on my dime. And California isn't a Concealed Carry State for those of you who are wondering.
When I don't wear my Rolex, I wear a Certina DS Action Diver. It's a Swiss-made automatic Diver, ISO 6425 certified, water resistant to 200 meters and can be had new for around $500. Besides giving a Rolex a run in the looks dept. ...you don't see them on every third male wrist! Also comes in titanium. I'd love a Rolex Sea Dweller Deep Sea James Cameron but at $14K plus you need a bodyguard to wear one. MORE bombproof and less than a quarter the price of the DSSD is the Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Deepquest in titanium. Proof to 3000 meters! Something Jacques Cousteau could have only dreamed of during his lifetime. Tritium illuminated so visible in total darkness. Has to be the ultimate mechanical birding watch.
I haven't said a word about those Casio electronic time devices because they certainly are not watches and don't deserve to be considered such. I own an Apple "Watch" and wear it on my right wrist because it was a gift from someone I care for. It has its uses but it's such a pain to keep charged. Especially in the field. There is a Citizen watch which is an attempt to be a mechanical "Casio outdoor 'watch'" called the Altichron. It's VERY complicated and the face is difficult to read. The perfect gift for that OCD or dyslexic on your get-even list!

Mechanical watches are less accurate than quartz and are now mainly used as "Bling", to demonstrate how wealthy the wearer is.
I don't do much birdwatching at a depth of 3000M (see above) mainly because my Citizen watch is only water resistant to 300M,so unsure why that feature contributes to the ultimate birdwatching watch.
Many naturalists especially botanists but including birdwatchers can see the advantage of a watch with GPS when compiling their field notes. But in our technological world smartphones are probably more useful.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back