• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vagrant Emperor, Sussex (1 Viewer)

birdboybowley

Well-known member.....apparently so ;)
England
My brother Matthew sent me the attached photo today - taken at his workplace in Lancing! To quote: 'it was just chillin' on one of the containers'....! What a lucky git!!! :eek!:

IMG_20181001_160648 (Custom).jpg

Very nice. Have seen plenty overseas but would love to see one here. There do seem to have increased in occurrence in the last few years here.

I've just spent nearly 5 weeks in southern spain and only saw Vagrant Emperor on 2 occasions. Last September they seemed to be everywhere from mid September and there was a small influx into the UK. Plenty of time yet, though.

A female Vagrant Emperor was found by John Langmaid in his Southsea (Hants) moth trap yesterday (05.10.18) morning.

Attachments

• Southsea 2, 5-x-2018.jpg
    Southsea 2, 5-x-2018.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 57
Amazingly at least 10 reported from Goonhilly Downs, Lizard in Cornwall yesterday with 3 pairs in tandem ovipositing. A great photo of one of the pairs on the Atropos migrant page. This must be a record number for a site in the UK? With the usually mild conditions in Cornwall it will be interesting to see if these attempts bring any success!

Also 2 Red-veined Darters there.

This post is reminding me to brush up on my emperors whenever I return to the UK...actually, I don't even have sight records of the more common species!

After having struggled to pin down a possible VE on St Agnes over a 48-hour period two weeks ago, a very exciting thing happened to me yesterday. I'd seen a Dusky Warbler and a Rustic Bunting on St Mary's in the morning, and after taking lunch with my first-ever Scilly Great Egret in Porthcressa Bay, decided to lie back in the sun and the sand and have me a nice little afternoon nap. Ten minutes later I was just about to cross over to the other side (the land of nod), when I was awakened by someone shouting my name from the upper shore. My attention was drawn to the fact a Vagrant Emperor was buzzing back and forth just a few feet in front of me and so I jumped to my feet and watched it for five minutes, occasionally flinching as it tried to land on my face. Wish I could have got a photo like the OP but it buzzed off, though not before I'd seen the blue segment in the middle, which was the clinching feature I didn't manage to see on my original 'one that got away.'

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back