• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird book for India and a Book on Raptors (1 Viewer)

dineshagg

I am a bit new to birding.My interst has really peaked after I joined this wonderful and a very helpful Forum.
I would like to know the best books For Birds in North India,some comprehensive ones.I already have Grimmett and Inskipps' "Birds of the Indian Subcontinent", and a couple of small Salim Ali's Books.
Also am looking for a good book on Indian raptors.What I need from the book is different characteristics and behaviour of the raptors and the basis of their classification.
For the field I think I already have what I need but would want to read a lot more and so would appreciate any recommendations.
Thanks

dineshagg said:
I am a bit new to birding.My interst has really peaked after I joined this wonderful and a very helpful Forum.
I would like to know the best books For Birds in North India,some comprehensive ones.I already have Grimmett and Inskipps' "Birds of the Indian Subcontinent", and a couple of small Salim Ali's Books.
Also am looking for a good book on Indian raptors.What I need from the book is different characteristics and behaviour of the raptors and the basis of their classification.
For the field I think I already have what I need but would want to read a lot more and so would appreciate any recommendations.
Thanks

Just found this announcement on the www.Wildsounds.co.uk web site.

Birds of Prey of the Indian Subcontinent

Rishad Naoroji

Available from the end of December 2005. 70 species of hawk, buzzard, kite, harrier, eagle, vulture, falcon and falconet are found in the region. New plates and photos show each species in all usual plumage forms, in flight and at rest. 480 pages. More details...

Hardback £40.00 £36.00

Raptors of the World by Ferguson-Lees and Christie is an excellent book. The book you have by Grimmett and the Inskipps is by far the best field guide to the region. When I was last there I had to use the old 'Pictorial Guide' which was very basic. I believe that there may be a photographic guide, but I don't have the details.

Tom

Thanks Robert and Tom.
Will look up what you have suggested.
Any other recommendations, esp something more detailed.

Pied Kingfisher said:
For your information, Raptors of the World by Ferguson-Lees and Christie has 900+ pages. It may contain all the info you need.

Raptors of the World, The Field Guide, an updated adaptation of the above, by the same authors, is out in the UK and is only 320 pages. I bought mine yesterday at the RRP of £19.99. An excellent buy for raptor watching outdoors.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back