Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Blackcap !!!

Old Sunday 9th October 2005, 14:05   #1
Pam_m

Blackcap !!!

Hi all, Had a Blackcap in my garden this morning , he was on top of the conifer trees, lovely Jet Black crown, it is the first I have spotted in my garden since March. I thought the Robin was looking agitated !!!! Gold and Greenfinches have returned to the feeders aswell, blackbirds numbers are up and also the Tits. Autumn days !!!!

'Flying High' My Blog

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 9th October 2005, 14:13   #2
Bridie

[quote=Pam_m]Hi all, Had a Blackcap in my garden this morning

How lovely to have a Blackcap. They only visit my garden very rarely and then in the depths of winter.

Bridie
Old Sunday 9th October 2005, 17:28   #3
roosmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam_m
Hi all, Had a Blackcap in my garden this morning , he was on top of the conifer trees, lovely Jet Black crown, it is the first I have spotted in my garden since March. I thought the Robin was looking agitated !!!! Gold and Greenfinches have returned to the feeders aswell, blackbirds numbers are up and also the Tits. Autumn days !!!!
Hi Pam I've had a male and a female visit each Winter for a few years now. No Idea if it's a pair or the same two birds even Last year I had five of them for a while so I can't wait to see what this year brings....

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

W H Davies
Old Sunday 9th October 2005, 17:32   #4
kush23uk
Kirsten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam_m
Ah the delightful blackcap. Had a male and two females last year, but none yet so far this year, spotted only in my local woods.
Old Monday 10th October 2005, 10:29   #5
Ruth Daniel

Hi Pam,
What a nice sight aren't they?
Always welcome to my garden but they are quite a rareity here though I have seen them on a few occassions.
I'm not sure whether they don't like my choice of food??
What was yours feeding on?
Maybe I should change my menu?? lol!!
Best wishes,
Old Monday 10th October 2005, 10:59   #6
Pam_m

Hi Ruth, It was great to see the Blackcap yesterday morning, lovely little bird!! He didn't come down to feed (when I spotted him anyway!), he was scanning the garden from the tops of the conifer trees. He was probably eyeing up the fat balls, I only added these to the feeders last week, so its looking hopeful !! Apparently they prefer natural foods like berries in the Winter but when scarce they will go for fats, bread and cheese. Good Luck, hope you get some in soon!!!

'Flying High' My Blog

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 10th October 2005, 18:58   #7
kush23uk
Kirsten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Daniel
Hi Pam,
What a nice sight aren't they?
Always welcome to my garden but they are quite a rareity here though I have seen them on a few occassions.
I'm not sure whether they don't like my choice of food??
What was yours feeding on?
Maybe I should change my menu?? lol!!
Best wishes,
Mine fed on the peanuts in the feeder and the big fat bars that i hang out too. I never saw them feeding on the bird table where i put seeds. Looking forward to their return. All the food i buy is from the RSPB, i never buy anywhere else, just because of trust i guess!
Old Monday 10th October 2005, 18:59   #8
kush23uk
Kirsten

Quote:
Originally Posted by kush23uk
Mine fed on the peanuts in the feeder and the big fat bars that i hang out too. I never saw them feeding on the bird table where i put seeds. Looking forward to their return. All the food i buy is from the RSPB, i never buy anywhere else, just because of trust i guess!
Oh yes and garden birds love grated cheese!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: