Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

blackcap

Old Monday 19th December 2005, 19:21   #1
rose taylor

blackcap

Evening all, Should have been cleaning the bathroom, but thought I'd have just a little look out of the window. Glad I did, I saw a blackcap. He was picking at the remains of the big church candle fat ball. There have been lots of goldfinches in the garden too. Nice start to the holiday. Bad news is though, and not a pretty story. I moved the telly out to hoover behind it and there was the body of a small frog. It looked almost mummified. I don't know how it got there or how long it has been there. Poor Claire, proper freaked out she was.
Rose.
Old Monday 19th December 2005, 20:16   #2
Renee Redstart

Congratulations on your Blackcap. I saw my first one last week. It has been back several times a day, every day. Doesn't go for the fats, just the insectivorous ground feed. Garden been very active during the cold weather too.
Poor old frog! We found a dried up crust of a frog on the path earlier this year, but really can't imagine how one got behind your telly.

"Though you drive Nature out with a pitchfork, she will still find her way back."

Horace
Old Monday 19th December 2005, 20:31   #3
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

Hi Rose,
Nice to have blackcap in your garden at any time but doubly so in winter.

When we first moved into our house 16 years ago, there was a very large rosebed, 6 foot by 20 foot that had been left to run wild. That first winter we had blackcaps in the garden, along with goldcrests, dunnocks, wrens.
We had to take out the rosebed when the children came along, too risky with the bramble suckers etc. Since then we lost the blackcaps and goldcrests, still have the dunnocks and wrens. The other day we had goldcrests in the garden for the first time since the rosebed went, I'm hoping that we may get blackcaps again now.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 19th December 2005, 21:44   #4
SAFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Redstart
Congratulations on your Blackcap. I saw my first one last week. It has been back several times a day, every day. Doesn't go for the fats, just the insectivorous ground feed. Garden been very active during the cold weather too.
Poor old frog! We found a dried up crust of a frog on the path earlier this year, but really can't imagine how one got behind your telly.

well done!!!
Old Monday 19th December 2005, 22:31   #5
bill moss

Hi Lady,

One up on me with the Blackcap, I still haven't had one in the garden this year (nor for quite a few now).

Regarding the frog (poor thing), has TW been on the box recently?

Love, Bill.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: