Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Marne - Belval / Lac du Der

Old Friday 14th February 2020, 17:34   #1
tommo999

Question Marne - Belval / Lac du Der

Hi all,

Am travelling down to Marne later this year, and am looking to sense-check the information I have found before travelling down there this coming mid-May. This will be our first overseas dedicated wildlife trip so hoping to get a decent selection of non-UK species - would particularly like Bluethroat and the various Heros/Bitterns/Storks, and Bee-eater (if any are in the area or anywhere near)…

Etangs de Belval-en-Argonne

The reserve here looks excellent – I know you can see the lake from the road, but is the reserve/hides open ‘out of hours’?

The general area around Belval-en-Argonne looks quite interesting, with a seemingly vast network of forest tracks – should provide some nice dawn chorus opportunities - and some equally interesting agricultural areas.

Lac du Der-Chantecoq

Not really expecting any Cranes or Eagles in May but still would like to visit; from what I have gathered there is a hide/observatory overlooking the main lake, then also some hides overlooking Etang des Landres & Etang de Grand Coulon to the SW. I guess I have a similar question for this site - can anybody confirm whether a) these are open to the public and b) what their typical opening hours are?

I have found a few old posts on here which have been helpful. But would be most thankful if anybody could confirm/unconfirm the above information and offer any additional recommendations (or of websites to look at etc.). Or indeed any tips of places to stop on the drive down/home.

Many thanks
Tom

Last edited by tommo999 : Friday 14th February 2020 at 17:39.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: