• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to get valuations?? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
Hope this isn't a too innapropriate question to ask here?..but

I'm currently trying to get a painting valued for insurance purposes, despite being a failed antiques dealer in a past life I wouldn't know where to begin with a painting.It's not an old work, I believe it was painted by a well respected contemporary wildlife artist in suffolk.

There are some galleries in town that sell similar art works - but knowing from past experiance most dealers are unwilling to value something they think they can purchase from you and sell at a considerable profit!!

Any ideas??

Matt

Last edited:
try them Matt,they should give you an auction & shop price but insurance should be a lot higher , if you don't trust them try a few and average it out . It's all trial and error

ARTHUR BISHOP said:
try them Matt,they should give you an auction & shop price but insurance should be a lot higher , if you don't trust them try a few and average it out . It's all trial and error

Thanks for that Arthur..

I've twice sent an email to the artist regarding the matter but been completely ignored!!, are artists screamish about being asked to value their own works?

Matt

Hey Matt - If the artist is 'well known' as you say - if you Pm me who it is, what kind of subject and 'quality' of the piece, I'm sure I could get a valuation for you (I may even have a pretty good idea, myself). I know a few galleries marketing contemporary works and I'm sure one of them could help.
Good luck.

timwootton said:
Hey Matt - If the artist is 'well known' as you say - if you Pm me who it is, what kind of subject and 'quality' of the piece, I'm sure I could get a valuation for you (I may even have a pretty good idea, myself). I know a few galleries marketing contemporary works and I'm sure one of them could help.
Good luck.

Hi Tim

Just sent you a PM and email with pic attached!!

Thanks again..

Matt

matt green said:
Hope this isn't a too innapropriate question to ask here?..but

I'm currently trying to get a painting valued for insurance purposes, despite being a failed antiques dealer in a past life I wouldn't know where to begin with a painting.It's not an old work, I believe it was painted by a well respected contemporary wildlife artist in suffolk.

There are some galleries in town that sell similar art works - but knowing from past experiance most dealers are unwilling to value something they think they can purchase from you and sell at a considerable profit!!

Any ideas??

Matt

Matt

Don't know how close you are to Norwich, but I would try some of the galleries in Elm Hill.

They probably will be a bit canny, but as it is a competitive world a valuation from 2 or 3 should give you an idea.

Nick

Nick Elliston said:
Matt

Don't know how close you are to Norwich, but I would try some of the galleries in Elm Hill.

They probably will be a bit canny, but as it is a competitive world a valuation from 2 or 3 should give you an idea.

Nick

Hi Nick

Think I know the gallery you mean, the quite posh one that sells works of local artists, I don't visit norwich as much as I used to but certainly might give those a try.

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back