• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Art Attack - 'THE SWAPSHOP FOR CREATIVES' (1 Viewer)

timwootton

Hi - here's my idea, one which I've been considering airing for some time, but couldn't be ars*d to type in the necessary details. (could the moderators - when they finally get off the gin - check that the thread is legit and allowable, please?)
I am a poor, struggling artist (ha!) - not struggling in the sense that I juggle with struggs, but that I actually find it hard to make ends meet!
Unfortunately, this lack of 'readies' doesn't stop me from coveting all manner of stuff - artwork and equipment to the fore.
I wondered if a 'Multi-coloured Swap-Shop' idea would go down well.
Basically, I love loads of the artwork, pottery, sculpture, photographs, etc. that are displayed on BF, but could never qualify parting with cash for any of it!
I'm not asking for folk to plunge straight in, but how about churning over the idea that 'One' would post an item - carving, sketch, sculpture, telephoto lens, photograph etc., have a suggested value attached to it - and see if anyone wants to 'Swap!'.
I suppose this is where the tricky bit comes in, as no one wants their offer of a redeemable swap to be declined - ie. 'I don't want your w*nky drawing of a fulmar for my pristene Nikon HD82 angled scope, thank you very much!!!' - could I suppose, cause a little offense. So - discussion please!
I'm personally thinking that PM is the way to go - ie 'I love Tim's razorbill' (no pun intended - of course) so I'll see if my 80 - 340 Mirador will tempt him into parting with it'.
What do you all think - but think carefully (we don't want and Z-Bay disputes, now do we - NO FEEDBACK, NO SWAP! - ha ha!).
Court's open . . . . . .
Lots of love and hugs (please)

an interesting idea Tim, but a lot of prolems could run with this.
TRUST ? !.

ie; You will get the item when your cq. has cleared my bank.

Control would be the problem.

I like this element of cynicism - makes me think we're on to a winner! As DelBoy would say - He Who Dares, Mange tout? mange tout? My old china!

Swapping/exchanges are carried out in the BF classifieds section, in fact exchanges are mentioned in the forum description.
Not sure there's much else we can do at this end.

cheers
Andy

...interesting idea. Personally think it would work, people are more honest than they are given credit for, look at the success of E Bay.
The value of the item, or rather how, or by whom, it is valued, may be the key. Can be tough with artwork at times...
Great potential here though.

certainly nothing to stop people trying, as there is a classified section. Wonder what somebody would swap me for an unfinished, overpainted goosander that's p*ssing me off (not sure how many asterisks are supposed to go in naughty words!) there was something in the news about a guy that swapped a paper clip for a pencil, a pencil for a pen, a pen for a donkey's straw hat, a donkey's straw hat for a bucket and siphon etc etc and ended up getting to live in a really big house rent free for a year, wonder what he'll do at the end of the year, move back into the paper clip I suppose.

Last edited:
Hey Nick - pour me a glass of that rouge that you're on -it's obviously excellent stuff! Very fine contributions, however, I'm still not sure where we stand. Andy - if you're there - did your post mean that we should stoppit and behave, ie, use the Classifieds section, or that BF could offer no more advice/comment? I wouldn't want to duplicate a current forum - that would just be daft!

Err? Basically, we already have a forum for sales, swaps/ exchanges. If you want to swap something or make someone an offer for an item, go ahead

cheers,
Andy

Tim,
I will see one of your excellent paintings and raise you a bunch of pottery--or sculpture...

does that make any sense?

So does this mean we have to go to the classifieds?

Hi Elizabeth - I'll raise you a something-or-other for your what-do-you call-it!
Yes, I think we have been relocated to the sales/swap/exchanges Forum.
This thread is now closed down - cheers!
NO MORE POSTS PLEASE.
And as in 'A Knight's Tale' - all good things must come to an end - so let's end them together!, and onwards to the classifieds!!!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back