• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Drawing beaks... (1 Viewer)

Vectis Birder

Itchy feet
Does anybody else have bother drawing beaks when sketching from life? I.e. getting the shape and proportions right? I find they're the hardest part to get right.

To answer the question, look at the sketches of a woodchat on my thread, you'll see one beak hanging off the bird and the other one being swallowed. Yes, beaks are very hard to do convincingly (as are feet, but they're easy to leave out - you'd be hard pushed to find a bird's foot in one of my pics!). The tricks are -1) make sure the beak is a part of the head, usually it extends under the eye (the gape does anyway), 2) look for the line that follows from the back of the birds head, through its eye and down its beak.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back