• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spanish darter (1 Viewer)

pdwinter

Paul Winter
I saw this darter in a blog. It was taken in Malaga Province on 19th July.

My thought was that it is S.sinaiticum (Desert Darter) but having never managed to see one I hoped someone could confirm or otherwise.

Thanks, Paul

My thought was that it is S.sinaiticum (Desert Darter) but having never managed to see one I hoped someone could confirm or otherwise.
Like you, I have not seen S. sinaiticum in the field - but I would be happy to call this one sinaiticum if I came across it.

The strong dark bar on the side of the first abdomen segments, generally pale appearance (but with more black than would be expected on S. meridionale), and blue-grey underside to the eyes all point to this being the correct ID in my opinion.

Hi Paul

Are the black marks on top of the distal segments of the abdomen OK for sinaiticum? They look much more like those on fonscolombii to me.

O

I would expect at least some colour to be visible in the wings if the subject photo was fonscolombii, and for the front and rear borders of the pterostigma to be more distinct, despite the dragonfly being fairly recently emerged (based on the white colour of the pterostigma).

Usually fonscolombii tend to have more complete dark lines on the sides of the more distal abdomen segments, and a less distinct dark bar on the first to third segments as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back