• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

30Nm off Alexandria, Egypt (1 Viewer)

Offman

Been here for just over 3 weeks;
Grey Wagtail
Nightjar (sp)
Egyptian Plover
Swallow
Ibis
Little Egret
Northern Wheatear
Turtle Dove
Shearwater (sp)
Common Redstart

Next time I'll bring my bird book ! for the SBJs
Cheerz

So there we were, all thinking we were going home, when a certain oil company extended our trip, adding at least a week.
Keeping us company today, we have Black-eared Wheatear, RB Shrike, a Hoopoe, and to my delight, with help from Google, a painful experience, due to speeds worse that dial-up, a male Marsh Wheatear.
My second lifer this trip, along with the Egyptian Plover.
ID is always fun when your on a boat, we have three habitats for them, the deck, on top of a container, or on various wires we have around.
A couple of mornings has been fun, prior to sunrise, anything can be around, this morning, 5 Buzzards passed by, they had very flat glide profiles, so I'm guessing Honeys ?
The other early morning, there was a Harrier along with more Buzzards, and loads of SBJs and if didn't know better, Snipe.
Cheerz

Yes Honeys would be a good bet for most of the 'buzzards' (though Common Buzzard pass through Egypt too). Common Snipe will certainly be heading south too, to places like the Nile delta i would imagine.

yes - Egyptian plover would be absolutely monstrous in the Mediterranean. Birdforum Opus says:

Widespread but very patchy distribution in sub-Saharan Africa but current status in the Western Palearctic is unclear.
Formerly bred on the Nile in southern Egypt but now apparently a very rare vagrant. Also recorded as a vagrant to Libya (August 1969), and old and more doubtful records for Jordan and the Canary Islands. Further south in Africa moves erratically in response to changing water levels and presumably did so in Egypt.
These irregular movements may well lead to further Western Palearctic records but one in Poland in October-November 1991, another in Gironde, France from July 1999 to February 2000 and a third in Belgium in June 2000 were regarded as escapes.

Any chance it could have been something else Offman? It's the sort of record that would need to be formally documented.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back