• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Z7 for Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Neil

I haven't posted for a while as I haven't been doing a lot of digiscoping over the last 18 months since I moved back to Australia. Main reason being that I can get "up close and personal" with birds here I get most of my photos with a Nikon D500 and a 300mm lens.
The Nikon Z7 gave me an incentive to get my trusty Swarovski STX85 mm scope out and see what 45 megs would give me.
I have to say that I'm more than impressed. I shot from 25x to 60x and the detail out of the camera and scope combo is excellent. The Focus Peaking function works better than my Panasonic ( I use Blue) and I can manually focus almost as fast as the AF. Because of the detail captured you can crop in very tight as you can see from the Sacred Kingfisher photos.
The only gripe I have at the moment is that you have to switch to Video Mode and I sometime forget to switch back. Another minor problem is the memory cards fill up very quickly. I miss the two card slots of the GH5. I used 2x64gig cards yesterday and could have used 3.
I've posted a video here https://vimeo.com/301940872 showing the the ibis at 25x and 60x on the scope. Original was shot in 4k and this is a 1080p version.
Neil.
Sydney,Australia
Nikon Z7 and Swarovski STX85 mm Scope and TLS APO 43mm adapter and Nikon NTZ adapter

Attachments

• digiscoping Z7 Swarovski STX85 IMG_8920.jpg
    digiscoping Z7 Swarovski STX85 IMG_8920.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 392
  • olive backed oriole shortlands Z7 STX85 TLS APO43_DSC5775.jpg
    olive backed oriole shortlands Z7 STX85 TLS APO43_DSC5775.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 551
  • sacred kingfisher shortlands Z7 stx85 TLS APO43_DSC8512.jpg
    sacred kingfisher shortlands Z7 stx85 TLS APO43_DSC8512.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 351
  • sacred kingfisher shortlands Z7 stx85 TLS APO43_DSC5260 copy.jpg
    sacred kingfisher shortlands Z7 stx85 TLS APO43_DSC5260 copy.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 534
  • intermediate egret breed plumes2 crop shortlands Z7 stx85 TLS APO43_DSC7168.jpg
    intermediate egret breed plumes2 crop shortlands Z7 stx85 TLS APO43_DSC7168.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 418
Question?

Hi Neil,

Thank you to share your photos. I have also a Nikon Z7 and I want to star digiscoping.
I want to buy a Swarovski ATX 95mm with TLS APO 43mm. Do you know if I need to buy the T2 Adapter? Or do I need to use my FTZ adapter?

Hi Neil,

Thank you to share your photos. I have also a Nikon Z7 and I want to star digiscoping.
I want to buy a Swarovski ATX 95mm with TLS APO 43mm. Do you know if I need to buy the T2 Adapter? Or do I need to use my FTZ adapter?

You can get the TLS APO 43 with the Nikon Mount and then you have to use the FTZ adapter. There wasn't any other choice when I was setting up my kit.
Neil.

I am using my Nikon 6 with the T2 adapter and FTZ and APO 43 but you have to use crop mode to avoid the vignette issue. any one else experiencing this issue?
I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back