Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Summer birding trip to Scotland

Old Monday 17th June 2019, 20:41   #1
Shore Lark

Summer birding trip to Scotland

Hi all,

I have a few days spare and was thinking of heading up to Scotland to do some birding probably late June/early July as I've never birded up there before and I thought it would be a nice change of scenery. I know Shetland is good and even though it's not migration season they'll be plenty of good seabirds around so that's definitely an option (though the travelling between islands is my main concern). I have found less info on Orkney but I imagine that must have some good seabird options too. Or of course I could stick to the mainland and target the highland specials and hit the coast for any seabirds off the mainland coast. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or can point me in the direction of any informative websites/books as to where I'd be most likely to get the best array of exciting birds (a subjective phrase I know but I'm thinking anything scarce or anything you'll struggle to get in England - Black Guillemot is always a bird I've fancied seeing for a long time now)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old Monday 17th June 2019, 21:18   #2
david kelly
Drive-by Birder

The Scottish Ornithologists’ Club has published an app called Where to Watch Birds In Scotland, it’s free.

David
Old Monday 17th June 2019, 21:51   #3
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2019

It's a great app too

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 18th June 2019, 14:43   #4
Shore Lark

Quote:
Originally Posted by david kelly View Post
The Scottish Ornithologists’ Club has published an app called Where to Watch Birds In Scotland, it’s free.

David

Cheers, David! I've downloaded it and it has loads of great info!
Old Tuesday 18th June 2019, 15:05   #5
Paul Longland

if in NW Handa is a great place for seabirds. Breeding artic and great skuas plus the usual auks etc.
Old Wednesday 19th June 2019, 06:58   #6
Mike C
Emeritus President at Burnage Rugby Club

Travel between the islands up in Shetland is straight forward and relatively inexpensive - unlike actually getting there.

https://www.shetland.gov.uk/ferries/Timetable.asp
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: