• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (7 Viewers)

Egyptian Vulture

Hello!
One Egyptian Vulture was seen by Pedro around the cliffs of Cala Sant Vicenç this last weekend.
Regards,
Cristina.

Stopping off in Majorca[ capital city] on a cruise in August.
Any handy places on bus routes out of the capital to go for a walk for birdwatching or scenic areas.Don't mind long strenous walks
Is the bird reserve near Pollensa on a bus route?
Thanks

Hello,
It depends on the time you'll have it's a worth or not take de bus to Pollença or Alcúdia.
The bus 340 goes to Port de Pollença and it takes at least an hour to arrive. If you stop in Llenaire, then, walking, s'Albufereta Reserve is not far from there. If not, from Port de Pollença the bus 352 stops in s'Albufereta and Albufera Natural Park.
The bus 351 goes from Palma to Platja de Muro, which is closer to the main entrance of s'Albufera Natural Park, but I'm not sure which is the stop for the Park.

If you stay in Palma, you can walk part of the bay to the south and see some birds on the coast of Es Portitxol, Es Molinar, Ciutat Jardí and in an area called Es Carnatge. But that area is quite busy now.

Regards,
Cristina.

Hello,
It depends on the time you'll have it's a worth or not take de bus to Pollença or Alcúdia.
The bus 340 goes to Port de Pollença and it takes at least an hour to arrive. If you stop in Llenaire, then, walking, s'Albufereta Reserve is not far from there. If not, from Port de Pollença the bus 352 stops in s'Albufereta and Albufera Natural Park.
The bus 351 goes from Palma to Platja de Muro, which is closer to the main entrance of s'Albufera Natural Park, but I'm not sure which is the stop for the Park.

If you stay in Palma, you can walk part of the bay to the south and see some birds on the coast of Es Portitxol, Es Molinar, Ciutat Jardí and in an area called Es Carnatge. But that area is quite busy now.

Regards,
Cristina.

Thanks- very helpful

Hi Mike - I think it was on private land just along the road from where the villa was. Heard one churring on three consecutive evenings - but not for long.

Nightjar area bigger.jpg

Nightjar area.jpg

We arrived in Puerto Pollenca around lunchtime today (red kite on the drive up from the airport). After lunch I had a quick dash around the Albufereta and Ca’n Cuarassa, although the heat of the afternoon wasn’t the most productive time to visit. A stone curlew at the Albufereta and a woodchat at Ca’n Cuarassa were the bird highlights, but butterflies rather stole the show, with lots of clouded yellows, Cleopatras and swallowtails.

Very unexpectedly I had a Monarch - it was battering against a chain-link fence at the Albufereta, before working out that it could fly over it. It then flew off over a field of umbellifers and was lost to view. Is this a species that occurs regularly?

I stopped on the seafront on my way back. There were 6+ Audouin’s gulls and 10+ shags on the offshore breakwaters (I always feel a bit shifty standing on a tourist beach with binoculars in hand!).

Stew

I saw the Ruddy Shelduck with Cristina on Saturday. Can I ask what the locals view on the provenance of this bird is please?

Hi Stew, welcome to Mallorca.
Nice record of a Monarch, my favourite butterfly. I’m not sure of the status as I remember records of a very similar species but I’m sure Martin or Mike Swiss will know.
See you tomorrow, hopefully some good birds and butterflies await!
Mike

Last edited:
Hi Stuartg. Ruddy shelduck is a national rarity as far as I’m aware.
A pair were seen last year and were accepted as such but again, I’m sure Pep or others will comment.
Mike

Last edited:
I reported seeing a Monarch a few years ago and was corrected by Martin. Apparently they are Plain Tigers which are very similar. If I remember correctly the Mallorcan government are trying to eradicate them by removing their foodplants.
I'm sure Martin will supply more detailed information.

I reported seeing a Monarch a few years ago and was corrected by Martin. Apparently they are Plain Tigers which are very similar. If I remember correctly the Mallorcan government are trying to eradicate them by removing their foodplants.
I'm sure Martin will supply more detailed information.

Thanks Kevin - that makes sense, although I wonder what the problem could be that requires their eradication!?

Stew

Hi Stew
As others have mentioned, it might have been a Plain Tiger Danaus chrysippus (which lacks the black outlining the wing veins). Despite the work done to eradicate one of its foodplants (Gomphocarpus fruticosus - an alien invader - hence the attempt to eradicate it as the islands have enough invaders that are out-competing the native flora) it seems to be having a good year - with several recent records from both Mallorca and Menorca. In fact a friend is monitoring them so I'll pass on your record.
Martin

Hi. Ruddy Shelducks are seen now and then in Mallorca. Some birds are probably escapes, but others arrive from their breeding sites. Many of the sightings occur in juny-july, so probably these are wild birds.

Butterflies: as Martin said, Plain Tiger is seen regularly in Mallorca, but lately some Monarchs have been seen too. First sight was in 2008, if I'm not wrong (Martin knows much better thant me!). In Ibiza has been seen too, in 2017. In Andalucía (south Spain) this butterfly seems to be well established.

Changing again to birds, sorry. On sunday at least 50 mediterranean Storm Petrels were seen 20 miles south of Mallorca, and 1 very unseasonal Black Tern too, flying north. In Puerto de Palma 3 Common Terns feeding amongst the boats, a strange place for them.

Best wishes

Last edited:
Not exactly a bird-filled day, but spent in the company of Mike M it was (of course) immensely enjoyable.

There were bee eaters (8+) along the road at Son Bosc, with booted eagle and thekla larks for good measure. At the Depuradora we spent quite a long time in the hope of ruddy shelduck (no luck, sadly), but two marbled duck, a female pochard (accompanied by a solitary chick) and a green sandpiper kept us occupied until two flamingoes arrived for a fly around. Eventually they decided not to land and flew off north.

Very little seemed to be happening at S’Amarador, but with little else to do we persevered from the tower, eventually seeing purple heron and a lovely male little bittern. Dragonflies here included black-tailed skimmer, red-veined darter and a single Norfolk hawker. Following my record from yesterday, we had another plain tiger fly along the muddy bank below us (“plain” is an apt description as Martin pointed out, with no black veins). As we walked back to the car we had a black pennant dragonfly perched-up on a tall stick.

We couldn’t find any waxbills at the southern end of the Cami des Polls, but we had a territorial male keeled skimmer at the sluices. We checked out the orchards further along the road for waxbills (again, unsuccessful), but we had another black pennant perched up on a fence - hopefully the attached photo shows the diagnostic “equals sign” pterostigma.

Stew

Attachments

• 0D402062-976D-4911-85CD-0A90422BEC43.jpg
    0D402062-976D-4911-85CD-0A90422BEC43.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 38
  • D68CF008-A44D-41C8-9512-00F7DF6DDE4A.jpg
    D68CF008-A44D-41C8-9512-00F7DF6DDE4A.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 39
  • AF7A516C-DC5B-4BCB-9B2C-3968746ACC93.jpg
    AF7A516C-DC5B-4BCB-9B2C-3968746ACC93.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 38
  • A3337154-2A7B-47DA-B6BF-383BFE00620F.jpg
    A3337154-2A7B-47DA-B6BF-383BFE00620F.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 56
Thanks for posting Stew.
It was a great day as always.
Thanks also for teaching me about the dragonflies, I’m hooked!
Plain tiger was a new species of butterfly for me.
Mike

Just returned from a week in Puerto Pollensa - I had thought that this would be not such a good week given migration has finished, but it was really enjoyable. Bird highlights included Ruddy Shelduck, Spotless Starling, Woodchat Shrikes and Cirl Buntings feeding young, Purple Heron, Tawny Pipit, Bee-eaters, Blue Rock Thrush and many Eleanora's Falcon. I was very grateful to the Cristina of Balears Wildlife who expertly guided me and showed me places like Son Bosc, Son Real and Depuadora that I have read about on this forum. It was also fantastic to see all of the butterflies including Two-tailed Pasha, Plain Tiger, Cleopatra and Clouded Yellow. Add to these seeing Pine Marten and Mediterranean Tortoise made it a great week.

Hi. Butterflies: as Martin said, Plain Tiger is seen regularly in Mallorca, but lately some Monarchs have been seen too. First sight was in 2008, if I'm not wrong (Martin knows much better thant me!). In Ibiza has been seen too, in 2017. In Andalucía (south Spain) this butterfly seems to be well established. Best wishes

Hi Maties

From my knowledge most, if not all, of the Monarch sightings on the Balearic Islands relate to adult butterflies that are ceremonially released at weddings and funerals. A strange practise and one that I've written about in a joint paper. It seems to happen all over the place but I personally wish it didn't as it makes recording 'real' specimens impossible. It is, however, as you say, established in parts of mainland Spain.
Best wishes
Martin

Hi Martin
There were two sightings of Plain Tiger in two different places.
One seen by Stewb yesterday and one seen by us both today at s’Amarrador.
Stew will give details of his sighting yesterday.
Mike

Today evening we have been up the Puig of Teix, and found 3 males of spectacled warbler and 1 male of rock thrush up the rocks.
Also severals tawny pipits and 1 o 2 weather.
It is always hard to walk up there but it worth a visit to enjoy this scarce birds of the high majorcan mountain.
We loved the picture of the spectacled warbler with the Estepa joana (hypericum balearicum) one kind of shrub you can find only in the Balearics islands.

Attachments

• 123 Passera.jpg
    123 Passera.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 62
  • 193 BusqueretTrencamates.jpg
    193 BusqueretTrencamates.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back