• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica APO 77 Owner..Looking for Alternatives (1 Viewer)

Hello Everyone,

Your forum was recommended to me by some fellow competition shooters. (No, we do not shoot birds – just paper and steel targets). Since we know a lot about bullets and nothing about optics, I figured I would check over here and see what the real experts have to say. As way of background, in our sport we have a shooter and a spotter. The spotter must pick out bullet splatter on black steel (in about 0.1 seconds as the steel target falls) or holes in black paper from 100M to 500M away, very quickly, in order to give the shooter the information so that he/she can adjust their sight settings. Since we shoot strings in a short period of time, accurate and quick identification of hits is a must. To add a layer of complexity we are all wearing protective shooting glasses, which tend to be slightly further from the eye then general eye glasses.

To that end we generally purchase the best spotting scopes we can afford, thrown on Bogen/Manfrotto tripods. In my case, I came across a deal on a complete Leica APO Televid 77 with a B32X WW eyepiece, a 20-60 zoom eyepiece, a camera adaptor tube and a couple T rings and a 77mm filter. When I got it home and started watching the birds in my yard and the chipmunks and I was VERY impressed. The color/clarity was much better then the Kowa scopes that most shooters have. Then the moment of truth – off to the first match with it. I was quickly disappointed.

The 20-60 eyepiece is basically not usable. With shooting glasses on (and the eyepiece set for eyeglasses) it was like trying to find the small picture in the center of a large black abyss. (I think this is called vignetting, only severe.) The 32X was much better, but still only about 75% of the available view was visible. We packed it up and pulled out the old trusty Kowa. In the Kowa the focus (clarity) of images at distance is no where near as sharp. The colors are also washed out looking. But even at the highest magnification and shooting glasses, 100% of the available real estate in the eyepiece shows an image – not black. This means the target can be very readily picked up.

Now, do not misunderstand me – the Leica is an incredible scope – but horrible for my purposes and destined to soon be on eBay (Any pre-offers?). That said, does anyone have any recommendations for other scopes? I use Swarovski EL 10x42 WB binoculars as well – and although very expensive, no other binoculars that I have ever looked through at any price (even ones that have higher magnifications) even come close. So I was considering a Swarovski scope. The Carl Zeiss scopes are also highly rated on some web sites. Unfortunately I live in an area of the country where I have no hope of finding a stocking dealer.

I would appreciate any feedback anyone is willing to offer. Thanks!

Most shooters probably have Kowa scopes because Kowa has long made some eyepieces with extremely long eye relief of more than 30mm, which is the kind of eye relief you probably need. Although I haven't seen it, the current Kowa 82mm Fluorite scope should be very high quality and will probably work just as well as the Leica for your purposes. There is a 27x eyepiece with 32mm of eye relief available for it. It's also possible the eyepiece from your Kowa scope might fit the current model if yours is not too old. Another possibility is the Bushnell Elite 80mm ED scope which has a 22x eyepiece with 34mm eye relief available.

Hi BurmKiller,

And a warm welcome to BirdForum. I very much agree with Henry about eye-relief: your only practical option is probably to find a scope with very-long-ER-eyepieces. Fortunately the "fluorite" or "Prominar" Kowa TSN-823/4M (3=angled, 4=straight) is IMO optically almost indistinguishable to your APO Leica. The 27xLER eyepiece should be perfect for target shooting and a 20-60x zoom (or a 32xWA) is very good for birdwatching - when you can better concentrate on keeping your eye close to the eyepiece. The Zeiss, Nikon and Swarovski are all great scopes but if you really need >>20mm ER, they are not going to work for your shooting use. Actually the Leica zoom has better eye-relief than the zooms of the other top scopes.

Another, but less straight-forward, solution could be to use astronomical LER eyepieces, which can be adapted to the Swarovski and Zeiss... but why bother ;)

Best of luck,

Ilkka

Last edited:
I appreciate the info. The Kowa I have been using is a much older model. I will look into the new model mentioned above. I knew you guys were the right people to ask. :)

I second Ilkka's evaluation of the quality of the Kowa 823 (angled body)and 824 (straight body) scopes. In fact, I have never seen a Leica quite as good as the best 823:s I have tested.

Kimmo

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back