• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk ID question (1 Viewer)

wildpaws

I took several pics of this hawk in Oct. 2004 in Richmond, VA. I originally thought it to be a Cooper's Hawk, but I would like some ID help from others. It should be an attachment to this post. Any ideas? Thanks for any help.
Clyde Atkinson

Attachments

• MHawkMar07resize.jpg
    MHawkMar07resize.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 145
After looking at some of the wonderful raptor shots on this site, I'm now leaning towards juvenile Red Tailed, they are abundant here though I normally only see the adults which are easy to ID. I was out playing with my new camera when I caught this hawk lunching on a grey squirrel, he/she allowed me to get within fifteen-twenty feet of it and calmly kept eating.
Clyde

wildpaws said:
I took several pics of this hawk in Oct. 2004 in Richmond, VA. I originally thought it to be a Cooper's Hawk, but I would like some ID help from others. It should be an attachment to this post. Any ideas? Thanks for any help.
Clyde Atkinson

A young accipiter, like Cooper's, should have streaking underneath (and prefers feathered prey), so that would make yours a Buteo. It looks like an immature, either Red-shouldered or Broad-winged. I think the light-colored eye would make it Red-shouldered.

wildpaws said:
After looking at some of the wonderful raptor shots on this site, I'm now leaning towards juvenile Red Tailed, they are abundant here though I normally only see the adults which are easy to ID. I was out playing with my new camera when I caught this hawk lunching on a grey squirrel, he/she allowed me to get within fifteen-twenty feet of it and calmly kept eating.
Clyde

Now you're making me reconsider. I figured Red-shouldered or Broad-winged based on the strong mustache, whereas I expect Red-tailed to be more uniform dark on the head. The clear white underneath might be better for Red-tailed, though, although I expect some markings regardless. Hopefully an immature hawk expert will be along soon.

I'm by no means the expert coming along, but I can be sure this bird's a young Red-tailed. Clean breast (belly-band streaking is variable), white "V" on scapulars, size-comparison with its prey, and overall jizz. When it comes to North American raptors, Red-tailed should be the first thing to rule out (just because of pure commonality).

Young eastern Red-shouldereds, while sharing the pale iris of a young Red-tailed, have some red on their "shoulders" (scapulars), an evenly streaked breast, a dark chin (vs. the white chin shown on eastern RTHAs, juvie and adult alike), and lack the longer primary projection that Red-taileds have. As for a juvie Broad-winged, that would be early right now for Virginia (though not impossible), but would not have this bird's size, primary projection, pale iris, or white scapular "V". Accipiters (referring to Coops & Sharpies for the moment) are also smaller and give a very different kind of jizz, having such long tails and short wings.

Last edited:
overworkedirish said:
I'm by no means the expert coming along, but I can be sure this bird's a young Red-tailed. Clean breast (belly-band streaking is variable), white "V" on scapulars, size-comparison with its prey, and overall jizz. When it comes to North American raptors, Red-tailed should be the first thing to rule out (just because of pure commonality).

Young eastern Red-shouldereds, while sharing the pale iris of a young Red-tailed, have some red on their "shoulders" (scapulars), an evenly streaked breast, a dark chin (vs. the white chin shown on eastern RTHAs, juvie and adult alike), and lack the longer primary projection that Red-taileds have. As for a juvie Broad-winged, that would be early right now for Virginia (though not impossible), but would not have this bird's size, primary projection, pale iris, or white scapular "V". Accipiters (referring to Coops & Sharpies for the moment) are also smaller and give a very different kind of jizz, having such long tails and short wings.

If eastern Red-tails have a light chin, that would explain my confusion. I'm obviously used to Red-tails of a different flavor here in California - thanks for clearing things up.

emupilot said:
If eastern Red-tails have a light chin, that would explain my confusion. I'm obviously used to Red-tails of a different flavor here in California - thanks for clearing things up.

NP ;) ;)

As usual, Alex is right. It's a juvenile RTH. As he notes, the first thing you have to do here in the East is eliminate the possibility that the raptor is a Red Tail. The clues here are the pure white upper breast and throat; the evidence of white "back pack straps" on the birds back and it's overall large size. You can also get a glimpse of it's "belly band" between it's legs. A Broadwing Hawk is significantly smaller, about 14Oz as opposed to about 2.2 pounds for a Red Tail.

It's an excellent photograph!

Bob

ceasar said:
As usual, Alex is right. It's a juvenile RTH. As he notes, the first thing you have to do here in the East is eliminate the possibility that the raptor is a Red Tail. The clues here are the pure white upper breast and throat; the evidence of white "back pack straps" on the birds back and it's overall large size. You can also get a glimpse of it's "belly band" between it's legs. A Broadwing Hawk is significantly smaller, about 14Oz as opposed to about 2.2 pounds for a Red Tail.

It's an excellent photograph!

Bob

Backpack straps? Never heard 'em referred to like that before - I like!! :D

Thanks everyone for your help, what a great forum! I am looking forward to spring as two Osprey nests that I've been watching for a couple of years should soon have returning tenants.
Clyde

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back