• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED50 Mini Review (1 Viewer)

I just purchased the fieldscope ed50 w/13-30x zoom for $575 plus $10.25 shipping from shopwise2000 on Amazon.com. they have a similar price on ebay. Shipped the same day I paid. Should be delivered today.

I just purchased the fieldscope ed50 w/13-30x zoom for $575 plus $10.25 shipping from shopwise2000 on Amazon.com. they have a similar price on ebay. Shipped the same day I paid. Should be delivered today.

Hi pinsonp2,

Congratulations on your soon to be new ED50. I hope that you will enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine. Hopefully you will post a 'Nikon ED50 Mini Review' after you've had a chance to test it. Best Wishes.

Ron

As I understand it you could well have problems with the warranty if you were ever to have problems - Nikon do seem to be very anti grey imports.

ah but if purchased from an authorised dealer in the States, whilst in the States and then brought back to the UK it surely wouldn't be a 'grey' import would it - that's rather my point - so I can't see any reason why warranty claims should be an issue IF the warranty is International - if on the other hand Nikon limits each warranty to the country of purchase, then it would be a major hassle. Anyone know?

ah but if purchased from an authorised dealer in the States, whilst in the States and then brought back to the UK it surely wouldn't be a 'grey' import would it - that's rather my point - so I can't see any reason why warranty claims should be an issue IF the warranty is International - if on the other hand Nikon limits each warranty to the country of purchase, then it would be a major hassle. Anyone know?

It will be classed as a grey import if you don't declare it and pay import duty and VAT as such Nikon could refuse to honour the warranty. I am fairly sure that Nikon bins and scopes do not have an internation warranty as the details and length of the warranty varies from one country to another. I do know of incidents (with other companies) where repairs have been refused because the item was imported and duty wasn't paid.

It will be classed as a grey import if you don't declare it and pay import duty and VAT

Is this statement simply your opinion or do you have any professional expertise in this area? Why should a scope purchased in person in the U.S. used there for a fortnight and then brought back to the UK be counted as a grey import? Surely it's a used piece of equipment? Equally I'd be grateful for anyone who can make a definitive statement as to Nikon's warranties.

Last edited:
Is this statement simply your opinion or do you have any professional expertise in this area? Why should a scope purchased in person in the U.S. used there for a fortnight and then brought back to the UK be counted as a grey import? Surely it's a used piece of equipment? Equally I'd be grateful for anyone who can make a definitive statement as to Nikon's warranties.

This is just my opinion, but it is based on things I have heard from people who have purchased imported Nikon gear (cameras not scopes). I know the terms of Nikon's warranty varies from one country to another so do not see how there can be an international warranty.

My understanding of the term 'grey import' is any item that is imported by anyone other than a dealer authorised by the manufacturer. Given this definition I woudl class personally importing an item like this as a grey import. Grey imports are not illegal (though deliberately avoiding paying import duty is) so there is no issue with doing it from that point of view. However if you google 'nikon grey import' you'll find numerous tales of how Nikon refuse to repair such items.

For warranty repairs within the UK Nikon request a copy of the purchase receipt, without this you would struggle to get any work done under warranty. It's basically a matter of whether the saving is worth the risk, at £118 it may well be... but if you end up paying import duty and VAT on it most of that saving will vanish.

This is just my opinion, but it is based on things I have heard from people who have purchased imported Nikon gear (cameras not scopes). I know the terms of Nikon's warranty varies from one country to another so do not see how there can be an international warranty.

Thanks for that; sorry if my last post seemed a bit curt; I`ve emailed HMC to clarify the situation and depending on their response I'll contact Nikon - watch this space!

FWIW - Accuflite has the Nikon ED50 angled body only for $380 or so. B&H has the 13-40 eyepiece for $240 approx. That's $620 for the scope + upgraded EP.

At that cost savings, who cares about warranty? Just pay to get it fixed if something goes wrong - it is still better economically.

I couldnt help it - mine is on the way. The Mighty Midget goes on sale.

Vandit

Last edited:
Ok, so I just got The Scope (manly grey, unfortunately), the 13-40x EP and the 27x EP. And of course it has been pouring down rain since it got here - the brunt of the monsoons. So this mini-review will have to wait. But I suspect that the MM2 is going to get a lot less use now.

The only thing I can say right now is that I feel like an idiot for spending 25 min trying to put the Cley Spy case on backwards - who'da thunk that the smaller opening goes on the objective? This is a SMALL scope, isnt it?

Vandit

Thanks for that; sorry if my last post seemed a bit curt; I`ve emailed HMC to clarify the situation and depending on their response I'll contact Nikon - watch this space!

Been reading this thread as I'm considering buying one (even more having read this) - and as I'm in the know re Customs at import - here's my view.

The scope & eyepiece are two separate elements.
Your personal allowance at importation is £145 per each person.
(Note that once an item is over that then Duty (if applicable) and VAT is payable on the whole amount.)
If a couple were to declare these items then generally Customs would not be bothered to charge the Duty & VAT as they would be (if at all) only slightly over that allowance. One person with both - that's a little further over the line. But they will err on the side of generosity.

Certainly declared items of around £150-£200 are not generally considered worth the calculation. (This does not mean that the next time you bring it back from abroad that you could not be charged by Customs at another airport/port - a small risk!)

(If you were to be stopped in the Green Channel and over your allowance - it is possible you could be charged the Duty/VAT - PLUS a restoration fee for the seized items)

I hope you can read between the lines here.

Also note that any item bought abroad which incurs/should have incurred
these taxes is not necessarily insurable - insurance companies have been known not to pay out for lost items which haven't got Customs' receipts!

Nikon's attitude to "grey imports" I reason has more to do with their dislike of people getting their stuff cheaply.

So a few risks to consider on your savings. If I were off Stateside in the near future I'd seriously consider buying one there - and consider declaring it as two items between two people.

Well, after I read the reviews I thought I'd join the club.
Did some price research on t'internet - found In-Focus were doing a sale on them - so ordered away.
That was yesterday. Back from work today to find it all safely delivered already, and went out to try it out.
Well impressed. (I've got the 27x eyepiece on a straight body)

Can't believe how light and small - even after hearing same here. It's a little gem.
I can put it in my barbour pocket or in my little napsack - not too much extra to carry.

Congratulations, Halftwo! I hope you get lots of great use from your ED50. You may have steadier hands than I, but I find I need a light tripod....I tried all the alternatives, like a monopod or the Cullman Shoulder-Pod, but especially at 27x, I can´t seem to manage without the tripod. A light one (Slik Video-Sprint) hangs from my side-bag when I go out though, with the ED50 in the bag. The extra weight is barely noticeable.

Hi Sancho,
I bought a cheapish tripod (£50 reduced from £90) which is OK. It has a ballast hook to hang extra steadying weight in windy conditions, but, as with the scope, my priority was weight & for the tripod, size when packed. Mine reduces to 22" but will still go to 5'8".
I've not had a scope for a few years - previously had a non-ED Nikon Fieldscope and my first was a (heavy) Discoverer. The ED50's image is fine and ease of use v. good.
I don't use scopes a great deal but want one I can travel with - so this set up is great.

H

...........The ED50's image is fine and ease of use v. good.
I don't use scopes a great deal but want one I can travel with - so this set up is great.

H
Excellent! Welcome to the ED50 owners´Cult. Soon You Will Be One Of Us...you will value Mobility over Scope Size, and your big scope will be consigned to The Darkness (at the back of a cupboard...).

The Darkness

...you will value Mobility over Scope Size, and your big scope will be consigned to The Darkness (at the back of a cupboard...).

Spot on - Sancho

After I got the ED50 my big scope was in the cupboard for 6 weeks before it was sold. Due to some double ordering I have both the 20 and the 27 MC eye pieces and I am still unable to make up my mind. The both have their merits so ..... anyway it will soon be Christmas:t:

cheers

Tom

LOL, thanks Horukuru and Tom. Interestingly, I found recently that the 27xw/ED50mm combo has a marginally wider field of view than the 30xw/ED82mm. Of course it´s not as bright or sharp, but I think 50mm owners would argue that it´s as sharp and bright as most 60mm scopes, and perfectly usable for most situations, even seawatching. Tom and Horukuru, I do hope Santa is good to you this year. Today, it´s official, Ireland is in Recession for the first time since 1993. The economic implications are severe, but crucially it seems Santa is not coming here this Christmas, as we´ve been too naughty with our finances.....;)

Interestingly, I found recently that the 27xw/ED50mm combo has a marginally wider field of view than the 30xw/ED82mm. Of course it´s not as bright or sharp, but I think 50mm owners would argue that it´s as sharp and bright as most 60mm scopes, and perfectly usable for most situations, even seawatching. Tom and Horukuru, I do hope Santa is good to you this year.

ah thanks for this hahaha very good reason for telling mrs. santa that this ED50 is small but beautiful and good to look through its wide FOV than its big brother ;)

Today, it´s official, Ireland is in Recession for the first time since 1993. The economic implications are severe, but crucially it seems Santa is not coming here this Christmas, as we´ve been too naughty with our finances.....;)

same here sancho, hope it would be ok soon and happy birding everyone :king:

I am still very happy with my ED50 and have no desire for anything bigger. My only slight annoyance is that I have the 13-40 zoom and the 20x MC eyepieces for it. I did own a 27x MC instead of the 20x for a few hours, as I wanted a fixed eyepiece for digiscoping. I bought the 27x but when I got it home, I found problems using it for digiscoping. I therefore took it back and exchanged it for the 20x which worked very well.

Since then I have bought a DSLR camera and haven't used the scope for discoping since. I now wish I had kept the 27x for its extra reach over the 20x, as it has better eye relief than the zoom and my partner, who wears glasses, can't use that eyepiece.

Anyone want to exchange a 27x for my 20x? I thought not! ;)

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back