• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Frog spawn (1 Viewer)

Dmacaskill

I just found some Frog spawn in my garden pond, despite the last two winters being some of the coldest in the last 30 years, this year is the earliest i have seen Frog spawn in my garden in 10 years. last year i found it on the 28th Feb, the other 8 years i have always found it on the 1st March!

Dean,

Since Thursday night, have had 25+ Frogs spawning in my small 7' pond.
In a mild winter they have started as early as Feb 10th, but last year it was March 7th. Then again, last February was much colder than this one.

Loads of spawn and horny frogs in my mums pond last week, spawn started appearing on 23rd!
On friday, one (presumably young and inexperienced in these things!) frog tried to get horny with my finger as I was trimming some plants!
He had quite a strong grip and it was about 5mins before he realised his mistake!

Attachments

• P1060592 bf.jpg
    P1060592 bf.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 60
Frogspawn and leeches in new forest pond

I recently went out with my dad to look for spawn in a nearby pond in the new forest. we found tonnes of frogs and toads mating and there was plenty of frog and toad spawn there. I also found some leeches. They looked like medicinal leeches but seeing as they are very rare in the UK i think they were probably horse leeches.

They haven't found my garden pond yet sadly.
Saw some frog spawn in a ditch last week when on a walk along Kennet & Avon Canal near Great Bedwyn.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back