• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nanaimo bird alert (1 Viewer)

cbpear

The Nanaimo Bird Alert
provided by
The Backyard Wildbird and Nature Store
To report your sightings phone
The Bird Alert at: 390-3029 or
The Store at: 390-3669
e-mail: [email protected]

Please remember when reporting a sighting to leave your name, phone
number along with the date and location of your sighting.

Tuesday August 24, 2004:
Twelve ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS were sighted at Cottle Lake in Lindley Valley.
A PILEATED WOODPECKER has been coming to suet feeders along West Garden Road in Qualicum Beach.

Monday August 23:
A COOPER'S HAWK was seen in the 2100 block of Wren Place in Nanaimo.

Sunday August 22:
A HEERMANN'S GULL was seen just off shore at Columbia Beach near French Creek.
Seventeen Sunday birders went to Neck Point Park and found thirty species.

Thursday August 19:
"RARE BIRD ALERT"
A YELLOW HEADED BLACKBIRD was spotted at the Englishman River Estuary near the mud flats at San Mailo Crescent.

Wednesday August 18:
247 RED-NECKED GREBES, five HORNED GREBES, six HARLEQUIN DUCKS, 15 SURF SCOTERS, 45 BONAPARTES GULLS, and one PURPLE MARTIN were seen at Deep Bay.
127 RED-NECKED GREBES, three PACIFIC LOONS and two HORNED GREBES were spotted at Qualicum Bay.
Four GREEN-WINGED TEAL, five NORTHERN PINTAIL and two HOODED MERGANSERS were sighted at the Englishman River Estuary in Parksville.

Tuesday August 17 :
A GREEN HERON was sighted near the Living Forest Campground off Maki Road in South Nanaimo.
A PILEATED WOODPECKER has been coming to feeders all summer in the 4900 block of Lost Lake Road in Nanaimo.

Monday August 16:
Five COMMON TERNS were spotted at Columbia Beach.
Two young FRANKLIN'S GULLS, along with 180 BONAPART'S GULLS were seen at Craig Bay in Parksville.

For further information on these sightings or for help in identifying a
bird please call:

The Backyard Wildbird and Nature Store
@ (250) 390-3669
Toll Free @ 1-888-249-4145
e-mail: [email protected]

This Sunday Bird walk on August 29, will be going to Columbia Beach. Meet at the store at 8:30 a.m. or at the vacant lot along Admiral Tayon Blvd. in French Creek at about 9:00 a.m.(Take highway 19A through Parksville go past the French Creek Marina, cross the bridge and turn right on to Columbia Drive, go to the tee intersection and turn right on to Admiral Tryon Blvd. go about 100 meters and turn left into the vacant lot and park.)

Good Birding!
Neil Robins
Nanaimo
British Columbia

What incredibly colourful sounding birds - Orange-crowned warbler, yellow headed blackbird and purple martin. Wish I had those visiting my back garden.

I've got some friends who've just moved back to Nanaimo, having lived in England for several years. I'll have to see if they're into birds, and if so, I'll let them know about you.

florall said:
What incredibly colourful sounding birds - Orange-crowned warbler, yellow headed blackbird and purple martin. Wish I had those visiting my back garden.

I've got some friends who've just moved back to Nanaimo, having lived in England for several years. I'll have to see if they're into birds, and if so, I'll let them know about you.

The Orange-crowned Warbler is a bit of a disappointment in colour.

Alan

Kevin Mac said:
Good to see another bird alert up and running! What area is covered? Do you include Parksville or Gabriola Isl?

We cover generally from south Nanaimo about the Morden Collery Provincial Park to about The Little Qualicum River Estuary to the north. Yes we do cover Gabriola Island and Parksville.
:bounce:

Last edited:
alancairns said:
The Orange-crowned Warbler is a bit of a disappointment in colour.

Alan

Hi Alan,
I have seen the Orange-crowned Warbler flash his orange crown in the breeding season and its a very vibrant orange colour, (although its not often we get to see it) our pacific orange-crowned Warblers are quite a bit brighter and more yellow coloured than those further inland. Its great to seen them arrive in the early spring with the Yellow-rumped Warblers.
Good birding!
Neil

Last edited:
I've never seen the orange crown. But it's nice to see them in spring. Not many yellow-rumped here (Sechelt) this spring -- I usually see more of them in fall. Very large numbers of Wilson's warbler in May this year.

Purple martins bred here for the second summer.

Alan

alancairns said:
I've never seen the orange crown. But it's nice to see them in spring. Not many yellow-rumped here (Sechelt) this spring -- I usually see more of them in fall. Very large numbers of Wilson's warbler in May this year.

Purple martins bred here for the second summer.

Alan
I used to work up at Sechelt and Roberts Creek. Never saw any Purple Martins. Where are they breeding?

Kevin Mac said:
I used to work up at Sechelt and Roberts Creek. Never saw any Purple Martins. Where are they breeding?

They're in nesting boxes on some old pilings at the head of Porpoise Bay. A friend put th boxes up three years ago, and they've been in use the past two summers. Five pairs bred this year, and there are a lot of juveniles around. I didn't see them yesterday. I suppose they'll be on there way to Costa Rica now.

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back