• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vintage and Classic Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Thanks Simon. I opened up one side & saw the copper strap securing the prism cluster and a couple of screws farther inside that appeared to allow twisting left or right of the prism plate.

Four digits in lead pencil on the outside of the prisms, some numbers etched on the plate & on the back side of the prism cover as well.

I need a little help as well. I just picked up a vintage 7x50 porro and am trying to determine which model it is. All that is on it is "Bushnell Triple Testd", "7x50", "Fully coated" and "No 96610". All of this is located on the prism plates. There aren't any JB or JE codes on the exterior that I noticed but I didn't look inside the objective barrels yet. Pic of it is below. I removed the eyecups for regular use. The binocular appears in mint condition. Bk-7 prisms.

Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• CIMG3275.JPG
    CIMG3275.JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
What do people normally use to clean fungus from the inside of their bins. Just a cotton bud or maybe a solution of some sort.

Cheers,

Ger.

I typically just use Zeiss cleaning spray and cold water. Then I clean with a microfiber cloth and use a can of compressed air to blow off any residual fibers/dust.

Frank,
The best pair of vintage Bushnells I've had were a $9.99 auction pair of 7x35, very beat up, but branded as yours are. Test: do your 7x50s seem lighter than, say, an equivalent Swift? Mine were as light as a 50's Zephyr. Perhaps mistakenly (hindsight) I donated them to the local middle school.

I have reserved making comment on these up until this point for a reason. I checked out Simon's flickr list to see if he had them. He doesn't but he does have a 7x35 with very similar badging. He only rated them as average optically.

My pair is anything but average optically. They are tack sharp with very little edge distortion. They are also color neutral and brighter than several of my other 7x50s. Surprising really. They do feel lighter than they look as you mentioned.

Wish I could figure out a model name or manufacturer code.

The model 110 has a 657 ft FOV, fully coated lens and magnesium alloy frame. Last one I saw went for about $40 US.

Just bought one on the local auction site here in NZ. Going by the photo's it looks in very good condition. I paid a little more than I wanted to, around $45 US. But am keen to see what 657 ft FOV looks like!
Its odd, this is the third porro I've bought in a week, very un-like me! I've never owned a porro before, always roofs, so I might be a turning worm! So far its been a real eye opener to me.

A little bit more info on the previously mentioned 7x50 IF Bushnell. I think this model may have an aspheric lens in the eyepiece assembly. The reason I mention this is because of a unique characteristic of the optical performance. In several other models I have owned (roof and porro) that advertise the use of an aspheric lens I tend to see a "ring" of slightly distorted image around the outer part of the image. This isn't regular distortion outside of the sweet spot. It typically is only visible, for me, when i scan a clear blue sky or any solid background. The image is just a shade darker within that ring.

I see this ring in the Bushnells.

Ross Stepruva 10x50. I cant seem to find any info on this bin. I'd like to know as I bought one off ebay. Anybody have info on this bin.

Ger.

According to my Ross catalogue circa 1974
there were no Ross 10x50s. The 9x35 was either the Stepruva or the less expensive Lancaster.
There is however a 11x50 named the Stepleven

there were no Ross 10x50s. The 9x35 was either the Stepruva or the less expensive Lancaster.
The Ross 10X50 Stepmur was discontinued in 1965 and replaced by the Stepeleven. I would love to see your circa 1974 Ross catalog. Are you able to scan it and post it here?

Thanks Robert, According to the pics its a Ross stepmur so it was a wrongly named auction. Maybe I got a bargain or a dud.

I've also just added a 8x30 Ross steptron to the arsenal. It looks like a nice bin.

Cheers,

Ger.

Just trying to find out if Komz 8x30 binoculars have a made in Ussr or made in russia on them. Are there known fakes.

Ger

The Komz was marked USSR and later Russia, no fakes I am aware of. The IF model is higher in price although no better in performance. Get a nice early model, they are better optically IMO.

Thanks Simon, I was going to bid on a 'made in russia' pair but all the pointers seem to be the ussr version.

Thanks,

Ger.

I received three pairs of porros today but unfortunately two pair will have to go back. The first pair a pair of solaross 9x35 have too much black markings internally so IMO are unusable.
The second pair is a 10x50 Ross stepmur. I originally had thought it was a pair of stepruva. Whilst I can see the potential of this excellent bin they were out of collimation. A pity as they really do feel like a good bin.

Ger.

I think this is a poor way to sell your collection.
There are some interesting models there, rare in the UK, like the Neptune for example.
Hope the seller gets a good price.

I'm curious as to what binocular, from '59 or earlier, you were seeking. I read the bay listing, couldn't pull up the pics. It would appear to be some type of Swift.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back