• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Penclacwydd WWT, nr Llanelli (1 Viewer)

ralph

Old Hand
I'd not been to Penclacwydd before, and was quite looking forward to it, even though my knowledge of ducks, geese and waders was pretty limited.

I got as far as reception. I asked the guy behind a counter what I was likely to see, and he started to reel off a list of birds that didn't invoke much excitement, so I decided to pass on the offer of walking around the 'reserve' and wander off around the surrounding area on my own - I had noticed some boggy areas, pools and grassland on my way in. Before I left the Reception Building, I spied a pool outside. The guy behind the counter told me the birds on this pool were domesticated - Black Swans, Eider, Shelduck and something called a 'Bufflehead'. I wasn't too impressed, and deciding that the Reception Area was taking on some kind of 'geriatric ward' overtone, I left. On my way out I spied the admission price board. I nearly choked.

There were lots of Moorhen around, I noticed, which was nice, because I can't honestly remember seeing a Moorhen anywhere for at least five years. I also never realised that Moorhen lost the red facial 'knob' in the winter - I sat watching a plain yellow-billed bird for about five minutes, skulking in and out of some reeds. I began to question that it was a Moorhen because of the lack of facial feature, but I reassured myself that it had to be one - I wasn't going to see anything out of ordinary today!

Inland, there appeared to be some kind of sewage plant. The air was full of gulls, and occasionally, a Little Egret would appear. I counted four in all - one of which came closer and closer and flew right over my head. A pair of Stonechats obligingly sat atop some reed stems for quite a while. If I had my (albeit rubbish) digital camera I might have got an interesting shot.

On the shoreline of the estuary there were hundreds of Oystercatchers, Curlew and various gulls. As I said earlier, my wader idntification skills aren't the best, although I picked out a few Redshank and a Sandpiper which I couldn't identify. Oh yes, it had the classic Sandpiper shape, coloration and jizz, but try as I might, I couldn't identify it. It also didn't help that the sun was in my eyes, and some Black-Headed Gull was paying the Sandpiper too much attention, and it flew after the hapless wader on a number of occasions. In my notebook, I wrote 'Sandpiper sp' and left it at that.

On the way back, I saw nothing of interest - a tree full of Chafinches and that was about it. All in all, I wasn't disappointed at all. Okay, so I hadn't seen an awful lot, but it was just a nice change to get out of house, away from the computer, and forget about work for a few hours.

ralph said:
..................On the way back, I saw nothing of interest - a tree full of Chafinches and that was about it. All in all, I wasn't disappointed at all. Okay, so I hadn't seen an awful lot, but it was just a nice change to get out of house, away from the computer, and forget about work for a few hours.

Well said Ralph, though I am still awaiting the chance for some close up views of Egrets.
Personally I just llike getting out of the house to go for a walk in nice looking places. The birds I see are an added bonus, though it's always nice to come across something 'special'.

Thanks for the report.

"Something called a Bufflehead"

Oh, those are such cute little ducks, and I see them only in migration. I call them 'pingpong balls on water' because they're so small, and that white is so distinctive.

Ralph, I know what you mean. Even if you don't see anything spectacular Its great to get out isn't it? I was watching a chaffinch for ages the other day, in breeding plumage its amazing. Also, I'm quite jealous of you as I'm in a landlocked county; plenty of ducks about at the moment but waders only pass through on their way south, soon north, so I dont get much practice in them. I wouldn't know a Redshank if it walked up and pecked me!!!

Last edited:
OK Paul,

On the offchance you are attacked by some marauding Redshank, attached is a picture of your likely assailant for identification purposes!

o:)

Attachments

• redshank.jpg
    redshank.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 301
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back