• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vintage Leica 7x42 on E Bay (1 Viewer)

Hi Arthur,

I was actually asking a rather trivial historical question as to whether all T*P models were referred to as Classics. I created the cognitive illusion for myself that only the more recent T*P* models were so designated, but that was shattered by an eBay auction proving otherwise.

Whatever the case it is a great binocular to use even to this day.

Ed

PS. Incidentally, my specimen has an IPD range of 57-75, which may not satisfy the OP's needs.
Hello Ed,

Any phase coated Dialyt 7x42 is a ClassiC.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

That's a good way to put it, and it's probably true.

Ed

Attachments

• Zeiss 7x42 BGAT*P box #461623.jpg
    Zeiss 7x42 BGAT*P box #461623.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Zeiss 7x42 BGAT*P box label #461623.jpg
    Zeiss 7x42 BGAT*P box label #461623.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Zeiss 7x42 BGAT*P* box and bino #2059618.JPG
    Zeiss 7x42 BGAT*P* box and bino #2059618.JPG
    285.2 KB · Views: 101
  • Zeiss 7x42 BGAT*P* label #2059618.JPG
    Zeiss 7x42 BGAT*P* label #2059618.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 96
Bob,

Hmmm. I thought you were talking about the E2, which has limited eye relief. The 8x32 SE is a different story altogether, although some folks were bothered by SAXP (spherical aberration of the exit pupil).

First time I've heard someone fearing their E2 being replaced by "one of equal [economic] value," but I wouldn't put anything past Nikon. My 8x32 LX L wasn't covered by their No Fault Policy because it was factory refurbished to new condition.

Ed

Yes Ed,

I was talking about the EII primarily because of its wide FOV along with its ability to be used by someone with a narrow IPD.

I figured that Charley would get a much wider FOV using the EII with his glasses than he would get by using an SE so I didn't suggest the SE to him.

When you noted that the EII's ER was too short to use it properly with glasses I started over. Then Arthur informed me of the IPD range of the Zeiss FLs. I looked into the IPDs of the Zeiss binoculars and it now seems to me that the Zeiss Conquests are his best alternative.

As for Nikon, I did real well with them on the exchange of my 10x32 EDG I for a 10x32 EDGII but I really had no choice in the matter. That is what they decided to do. In that case it was alright with me. But with an 8x30 EII it is a different story and I don't want them to make that decision for me.

Cheers,

Bob

Yes Ed,

I was talking about the EII primarily because of its wide FOV along with its ability to be used by someone with a narrow IPD.

I figured that Charley would get a much wider FOV using the EII with his glasses than he would get by using an SE so I didn't suggest the SE to him.

When you noted that the EII's ER was too short to use it properly with glasses I started over. Then Arthur informed me of the IPD range of the Zeiss FLs. I looked into the IPDs of the Zeiss binoculars and it now seems to me that the Zeiss Conquests are his best alternative.

As for Nikon, I did real well with them on the exchange of my 10x32 EDG I for a 10x32 EDGII but I really had no choice in the matter. That is what they decided to do. In that case it was alright with me. But with an 8x30 EII it is a different story and I don't want them to make that decision for me.

Cheers,

Bob

Bob,

I tend to agree with you about the Zeiss Conquests, although I'm not personally familiar with the them.

As for the E2, I don't believe they have a comparable Porro to replace them with, other than a new one. So, it might not be too big a risk.

Just my $.02.

Ed

Here goes the Ford vs Chevy stuff again.

The 7x42 Dialyt is a LARGE binocular. And FWIW I knew two people that had Zeiss "classics" with tarnished prisms. I attribute this to their poor atmospheric sealing. I've never seen that in a Leica or even my circa 1981 Leitz.

Again, FWIW, I'd recommend a Leica BA or BN, if going vintage. Extremely durable and reliable.

This is the Leica Forum, right?

Kevin,

The Leica 7x42 BA (and probably the BN) would be an excellent choice since they have an eye relief of 17mm. The 8x32 is marginal at 13mm.

My only issue with used Leica's, however, it the prospect of serious repair costs, by comparison with Swarovski or Zeiss.

Ed

Yours for sale elkcub?? lol

When I find a nicer one, sure. At the moment, though, I'm bonded to the only Zeiss product I own.

Seek, and ye shall find. o:D

Ed

PS. A good way to tell P-coated models is to look for two rib marks on the center axle. Specimens without it should be regarded as highly suspect. Although it is possible for Zeiss to have replaced the prisms, it's not too likely.

Last edited:
I'd question the efficacy of the E2's eye relief for anyone who wears glasses. If the edge of the field stop isn't crisp, ... stop!.

Is the edge of the field ever crisp with an E2? Mine isn't and I don't wear glasses. But I enjoy it anyways!

Joachim

Absolutely right Arthur: P and P* were exactly the same.

Lee

And while we're at it, they now leave out the P or P* with some of the latest models since they don't build anything without phase coating any more... so much for a consistent nomenclature...

Joachim

That's a good way to put it, and it's probably true.

Ed

Ed:

I'm quoting your post with the 4 pictures of the Zeiss models.

If you notice in photo #4, this one has a sticker with the later
Zeiss logo put on the box.
And this binocular has the T*P*, designation.

This is a bit off topic since this is a Leica thread. But I wonder when
Zeiss change to this newer logo design ?

Jerry

Vintage Leica 7x42 on E bay

I had a pair of the phase coated Leitz 7x42's.
When I contacted Leica there were two different answers as to the phase coating, 1. No they weren't phase coated and 2. A few were, no one at Leica seemed to know exactly how many and the serial numbers.
I compared mine to a few other Leitz 7x42's of the same vintage and there was a clear difference when looking into shadow and early in the morning or late in the evening.
I sold them, they are still being used and appreciated.
Wish I still had them.
Replacing the eyepieces is expensive.
Wonderful glass but my newer Leica Ultravid's are better, just not as elegant.
Art

Ed:
This is a bit off topic since this is a Leica thread. But I wonder when
Zeiss change to this newer logo design ?

Jerry

Ah, questions abound. Some people refer to "the latest coatings," but I have no way to verify that they ever changed, at least wrt the ClassiC 7x42.

I've got one. I'm happy with it. And, I use it.

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back