• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which £600-700 scope? (1 Viewer)

lwlhh00

Hi guys, been reading the forums for a while now, thought it was about time I joined.
I'm looking for a first scope. As I'm going to be using it in the dim UK and for digiscoping, maybe, I'm looking at an 80mm ED scope.
I've decided I want an angled one as well, as my wife is quite a bit shorter than me and I get the impression it'll be easier to share the scope.
From the stuff I've read, I'd quite like the Pentax PF80ED, and if they sold them over here at a reasonable price, that'd be it, however about £500 in the US (with the zoom eyepiece) translates to £700 (VAT, Duty and shipping). Alternatively I could have an Opticron ES80 GA MKII ED and the SDL zoom for a bit less. Even used, the leica, swarovski and Zeiss ED scopes with zoom eyepiece are fetching more that £1000, which is way out of my budget (so's £700 really, but you only live once).
Any thoughts anyone?

Shame you're only after an angled scope because otherwise the one to get would be the offer of a straight Nikon ED82 with 38x for £699 from Warehouse Express. They also have some excellent offers on the Zeiss 65 but only for straight models (£599 with 30x). If I were you, I'd sacrifice the convenience of an angled scope and go for one of those! Otherwise, I'd recommend going for the best 60-65 scope you can get rather than paying more for a less good 80mm. Probably the only ED 80 scope in your price range is the Opticron ES. I've never tried it but it gets some decent reviews.

scope

i've just got the optricon es80ed mk11 from south west optics very cheap with a 20-60 zoom , been out today in the overcast weather and found it first class and under your buget . :t:

lwlhh00 said:
Hi guys, been reading the forums for a while now, thought it was about time I joined.
I'm looking for a first scope. As I'm going to be using it in the dim UK and for digiscoping, maybe, I'm looking at an 80mm ED scope.
I've decided I want an angled one as well, as my wife is quite a bit shorter than me and I get the impression it'll be easier to share the scope.
From the stuff I've read, I'd quite like the Pentax PF80ED, and if they sold them over here at a reasonable price, that'd be it, however about £500 in the US (with the zoom eyepiece) translates to £700 (VAT, Duty and shipping). Alternatively I could have an Opticron ES80 GA MKII ED and the SDL zoom for a bit less. Even used, the leica, swarovski and Zeiss ED scopes with zoom eyepiece are fetching more that £1000, which is way out of my budget (so's £700 really, but you only live once).
Any thoughts anyone?
I know you want an angled scope but, unless you are very tall, there are bargains to be had in straight scopes that will allow you to own a top scoope for hundreds less than normal retail.

Zeiss is unique in having a v-e-r-y wide filed of view in its amazing 20-60x zoom. That's my first choice but the Nikon ED82 is undoubtedly a superb scope with any of the fixed eyepieces - unsurpassed. The Nikon zoom (25-75x) is unique in having such as large maximum magnification, but there is a slight trade off in that the field of view is somewhat less than other top makes.

You'll find both makes on special offer at Warehouse Express. Also - don't discount the 60-65mm scopes - they are far easier to carry around and there is only a very little trade off in light gathering power.

Last edited:
fwiw there is a mail order return angled zeiss65 on w/express for 549 you could get that with 30wa for £708

I reckon the Opticron ES80ED is one of the best value scopes on the market, but personally I'd go for the HDF zoom rather than the SDL. I tried this scope out last week and found that I needed to alter the position of the eyecup on the SDL as I zoomed, which was annoying. Make sure you try one before you buy.

postcardcv said:
I reckon the Opticron ES80ED is one of the best value scopes on the market, but personally I'd go for the HDF zoom rather than the SDL. I tried this scope out last week and found that I needed to alter the position of the eyecup on the SDL as I zoomed, which was annoying. Make sure you try one before you buy.

is the es80ed mk ii a big improvement?

pduxon said:
is the es80ed mk ii a big improvement?

Optically it's much as I remember (but I always liked the original) the new armouring gives the scope a much nicer look and feel. I'd like to see an original and a mk II side by side to see if there has been a optical improvement.

lwlhh00 said:
From the stuff I've read, I'd quite like the Pentax PF80ED, and if they sold them over here at a reasonable price, that'd be it, however about £500 in the US (with the zoom eyepiece) translates to £700 (VAT, Duty and shipping).

The PF80ED is a first class scope and I've had owners of the big 3 look through mine and find it hard to see a difference. I agree the price in UK is ridiculous so mine came from the US at the Ebay link below which is an offshoot of Cameraland NY. (I've also seen several american BF members recommend Doug on the Pentax thread).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PENTAX-PF-80E...ryZ31715QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Go for the pentax 80ed its a great scope & you can have your pick of 100,s of reasonably priced eye pieces from companies other than pentax . With the others you are stuck with there own expensive EP,s If you decide on the pf80 & want a zoom . go with a tv ,vixen or orion [all the same EP] THEY are smaller . cheaper & very good EP,s pentax is about the size of a jam jar . The pentax xw,s are superb tho.
good luck with your choice, Brian.

hi there - maybe worth thinking about if you can stretch the budget a little ...

Swarovski ATS 65 with 30xW for £718, or with 20-60 zoom for £778 on Warehouse express

Nigel G said:
The PF80ED is a first class scope and I've had owners of the big 3 look through mine and find it hard to see a difference. I agree the price in UK is ridiculous so mine came from the US at the Ebay link below which is an offshoot of Cameraland NY. (I've also seen several american BF members recommend Doug on the Pentax thread).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PENTAX-PF-80E...ryZ31715QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks Nigel, did you end up paying duty & VAT? (it's OK, I'm not from the revenue, Honest!)

Karl J said:
hi there - maybe worth thinking about if you can stretch the budget a little ...

Swarovski ATS 65 with 30xW for £718, or with 20-60 zoom for £778 on Warehouse express

Thanks Karl, but I was really looking for an HD scope, because I'm told this is important for digiscoping.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back