• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goldcrest (1 Viewer)

micloi

Taken today at Brandon Marsh

6785985494_8df8648267_b.jpg

6932102427_a1864bcd6f_b.jpg

6786003882_13b1fdaecc_b.jpg

On #1, the thorn appearing to grow out of the crest needs to be cloned out. Otherwise, not a bad shot of this difficult to photograph species.

The other 2 photos both suffer from unsharpness in key areas.

3 great shots Micloi, my only comments would be about the crops.....try the thirds rule...I'm ok with the DOF as long as the eye is in focus.

Many thanks to both for taking the time to comment.

Fugl: I will clone out the thorn. Unfortunately it was very difficult to get the whole bird in focus as it was quite close and moving VERY quickly so I had to use an aperture that would allow me a fast enough shutter speed but, unfortunately, a more shallow depth of field.

Chalky: Below is the full frame, I would appreciate if you could suggest your preferred crops, thanks!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16187250/300mm II/IMG_7628.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16187250/300mm II/IMG_7688.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16187250/300mm II/IMG_7693.jpg

I'm with Chalky, little less aggressive cropping and rule of 1/3rds. There again that's my personal preference in general. Didn't notice the thorn until Fugl commented on it. Again personally I'm not into taking things out, but, no doubt it would change the image. Wish I had some as good as these of a hard to get bird.

Phil

Hi Micloi,

I've had a quick play and these are just my initial thoughts to potential crops. I've tried to give a bit of context and space to the bird and its perch and used the directions of the branches to dictate the aspect of the crop. Also the direction the bird is looking dictates to me that you should give it some space to look in to, if you see what I mean. The third shot seems ok to me using your original crop but maybe make the shot a little wider and put the bird off centre.

Unfortunately there are a few branches between you and the bird, giving that soft, fuzzy feel but some cloning may be able to sort that one out. A cleaner shot would help no end but I know that its not always possible.

I know this is easier said than done but getting closer to the subject helps as well. I've attached a cropped and uncropped shot I recently took of a Goldcrest. The uncropped seems ok to me as it is but I just zoomed in a bit and put the bird off centre by applying the rule of thirds. The branch it is on has a horizontal aspect to it which is why I cropped horizontally, a vertical branch may have led to a more vertical crop.

I hope that helps a bit and they are only my thoughts, others may have some different ideas. I think the important thing to remember is that if you're happy with an image then so should everyone else.

Cheers Chalky.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 61
  • GC 1a.jpg
    GC 1a.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 51
  • GC 1.jpg
    GC 1.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back