• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waterproof/Breathable Over-trousers (1 Viewer)

Stuart R

HI

Can anybody recommend a brand of pull on waterproof/breathable over-trousers that are comfortable to wear for walking/bird watching/ fishing etc. Preferably elasticated and available in a variety of leg length (short!) Reinforced in knee/rear would also be good
Not asking for much, am I!!

Cheers

Stuart R

Stuart, the biggest problem I have with all the over trousers I've tried is the horrible rustling noise they all seem to give. Not the best idea when tring to sneak up on a skittish bird or animal.

I eventually went for "allday" type trousers. Mine are the Moss coloured Pajaro ones from Paramo. On the expensive side but very comfortable and waterproof.

Hi Stuart,
I agree with Barry that if you're going to be moving around, Paramo are great - I have one of their jackets, its wonderful. There is one drawback to them though, which is if you're going to be sitting in the wet you can force water through them..

If you mean to be staying put and rustling isn't such an issue, try Preston Innovation's Drifish overtrousers, which are very well made, have re-inforced seat and knee panels, and a fly. Best waterproof trousers I've ever worn - and my legs are stumpy, too ;)

You could do worse than visiting your local army surplus store. Both the British DPM and German Flektarn ones do the job at a good price. Both are made of Goretex.
I also have some Sprayway black stretchy all day trousers that are quite good, but they do get a bit hot when the sun comes out.

Another source of good clothing might be your local fishing tackle shop, if they've got a carp fishing section then you'll be in camo heaven, try online as well. Ebay have a large hunting/fishing clothing section.

To throw another name into the mix, I recently got hold of a pair of "Allday Rain Pants" from Sprayway. I tried these as they are lighter to wear than the Paramo ones I usually have on.

Being manufactured from an electicated material, I found the Rain Pants to be better fitting than most trousers I have tried, having a fit more like jeans. They are also much cooler to wear and in the recent hot weather, this has been a big bonus. They somehow feel more comfortable to wear too.

The only potential problem I found was a very slight "rustle" when the trouser legs brushed together, but I'm sure this will disappear with the first washing.

Probably the biggest bonus though is in the price, they are about a third of the cost of the Paramo ones I normally wear.

I have always used Sunderland golf trousers. Based on price not much gets close to them. They have a velvety feel on the outer and nice fluffy pockets. They are comfy enough to wear over trousers or just shorts - i have played in winter in just these (dont tell golf club).

Over the years they are probably my third pair. The last pair i bought wre £30 from sports outlet....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back