• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

waxcap id help please (1 Viewer)

regor

Can any one help with id of any of these fungi, please? I think they are all waxcaps but not 100% certain. They are all from sheep-grazed grassland in Worcestershire. The photos were taken today.

Thanks,
Roger

Attachments

• IMG_2044.jpg
    IMG_2044.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2056.jpg
    IMG_2056.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2052.jpg
    IMG_2052.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2055.jpg
    IMG_2055.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2054.jpg
    IMG_2054.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 66
Can any one help with id of any of these fungi, please? I think they are all waxcaps but not 100% certain. They are all from sheep-grazed grassland in Worcestershire. The photos were taken today.

Thanks,
Roger

Yes they are all wax caps. They can be notoriously hard to identify, and such characteristics as the surface texture (waxy, moist, dry) are sometimes significant. That said, the first might be Hygrocybe conica. The second is H. psittacina. I would not really like to say for the others, though the third looks to have decurrent gills, suggesting perhaps H. cantharellus.

It's nice to know that wax caps are appearing.

Thanks for your help Leif. I tried to id them using the Collins Field Guide but got confused. They look so distinctive in the field but there seem to be many similar species and with a lot of variability. Like you say they are a difficult group! Is there a guide specifically to waxcaps?

Roger

Thanks for your help Leif. I tried to id them using the Collins Field Guide but got confused. They look so distinctive in the field but there seem to be many similar species and with a lot of variability. Like you say they are a difficult group! Is there a guide specifically to waxcaps?

Roger

Fungi of Northern Europe, Hygrocybe by Boertmann is probably the best book. It is the only one that I have which I find has reliable descriptions of each species. Other guides are pretty much useless for all but the easiest ones. However, you will have to make notes at the time of collection, and maybe even examine spores back at home. Even then it is quite hard, and I can only reliably determine some of them.

Thanks Leif. I had a look online for a copy of Boertmann's book. According to the NHBS site there is a new edition due next year.

Thanks to Leif for all his input on these Fungi id topics. I always read but seldom have anything of worth contributing.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back